Purpurea dying? Help needed

Plantfreak

So, I got a Sarracenia purpurea venosa  around 2 weeks ago, and the traps are withering. It was shipped in total darkness for two days and I know this is normal. It’s strange because only the biggest pitchers seem to be withering, though a few young ones are too. Help. Also, I’m annoyed because I’m trying to give my dionaea dormancy along with my purpurea, and my dionaea is flowering! Does it have its seasons mixed up, or is this normal; either way, I’m still chopping off the flower stalk. It hasn’t been cold enough yet for their dormancy, and I’m getting a bit impatient. Refrigerator or no?

Can you place them somewhere similar to the temperature outside the house as in unheated porch (this is where i have overwintered mine for the past 5-6 years with no problems.) or outside if not.

Your purpurea looks similar to mine, they keep their pitchers longer than most sarracenias so these may be the oldest ones dying off.

they do need a dormancy period to rest.

Edited by pirks

My guess is the plant is drying out a bit due to the humidity change from where it was grown to your place.

The new pitchers will adapt to dryer conditions given time and enough light/water.

Purpurea venosa can be grown on a bright window cill without any dormant period,they will just slow down a bit in winter as the light levels drop.

I can confirm this because my mother-in -law has one from me on her window cill,it has been there for at least 3 years and is fine

ada

• 1 month later...