Is it too warm for dormancy?

Plantfreak

I live in zone 8a, and this is stupid but I'm not sure if it's cool enough for my 'lil horrers to go dormant. It is around the last third of November, and I have one Sarr purpurea venosa and four Dionaea outside. Our coldest month is February, then January, then December. I think my plants might get two-and-a-half months of dormancy. Is that fine?

Not a problem being cool enough, a lot depends on what containers your plants are in as to whether they need protection. Beware frequent freeze/thaw cycles and desiccant winds. High mass containers/medium are obviously better than small pots. 

Cheers

Steve 

Zone 8A should be fine for your plants to go in dormancy. Zone 8A has plenty of carnivorous plants such as Sarracenia and Dionaea naturally occurring. If I'm not mistaken there is even Sarracenia alata in Texas in either 8B or 9A. Temperature is not the only factor for plants to go in dormancy but there is also the aspect of photoperiod (daylength).

Kind regards,

Killian 

Ok. I have my CPs under my patio, because Texas is weird. A week ago we almost got hit by a tornado! In late November!! With no warning!!! Should I move my plants to get more sun, because my Dionaea are yellowing a bit. I have them in a clear plastic lidless box, and I dont want the sun to warm them.

• 3 months later...

Dormancy in plants is not the result of winter conditions, but the preparation of plants for harsh conditions to come, dormancy in plants is induced by shorter daylight hours, lowering temperature and/or a reduction if rainfall. If summer conditions are artificially maintained some plants can continue to grow for several years, but it is stressful for the plant. Temperate plants will often go into dormancy even if summer conditions are maintained. If a period of low temperatures, necessary to break dormancy, is not provided these plants will invariably die.