Sarracenia temperature tolerance

Plantfreak

Different tollerance for different species.

Some difference in -12 degrees an hour in the middle of the night and -12 for a full week.

Sarracenia purpurea is your best bet. Hardy in usda zone 2-9 and naturalized in Sweden to Stockholm level and in Norway as far north as Bergen.

If purpurea makes it, you can try other less Hardy species and hybrids. 

Br

Magnus    

Your US fellow growers will be best placed to help but from your min temps you're not in North TX so around zone 8a max which isn't too different from the UK. All my sarracenia take -10 outside with no extra care although some fare better than others. Your summers are where there's the bigger difference and I'd expect you'd need plenty of water to never let them dry out in your heat!

On 11/16/2020 at 1:11 AM, Plantfreak said:

Thanks! Good guess, too! I DO live in zone 8a. (Do you grow leucophylla and minor? I’m wondering because I’ve heard they’re not as temperature tolerant as other Sarrs.)

I don't have any problems with minor outside - both typ and Okee seem to thrive. Leucos struggle more and seem to never put on much size outside for me. Hybrids don't seem a problem either, not the ones I have.

7 hours ago, Plantfreak said:

What zone are you

Maybe not for me to answer. But in uk something like 80% of the population is in 8. Most of the others in 7 except for very few in 6. If you are in 8, I am sure you can take advises from anyone in uk.

I am in 7. So far I have only overwintered sarrs hybrid seedlings in unheated greenhouse. Which would correspond to 8. No problems.

Br

Magnus