I just bought this fragile Drosera, help me resurrect it pls :D

catalinux777

Hi Guys,

I’m new here and new to growing carnivorous plants so I would like to get some help from you please. I just bought my first Drosera Capensis, or that’s what I think it is…Could you please confirm?

The plant doesn’t look too good in my opinion, the leaves are beginning to get brown and die starting from the top and no dew is produced at all. I got it fro a super-market where it probably didn’t see the light of the day and the soil was dried out. I live in Romania where is now autumn and I don’t have direct sunlight on my windows. Can I grow the plant without special artificial light? Is the room’s light bulb enough?

Do you think I can rescue it, and if yes how?

Should I repot the plant, in what kind of soil, is general flower soil good?

I think there are actually two or three plants in there… should I split them apart in different pots?

20201024_031225.thumb.jpg.847e48ace4102a2f4572c0ce4cebab51.jpg20201023_233317.thumb.jpg.73989301c2dbb64691d0c6b5774fa063.jpg

Thank You,

Catalin

Hi Catalin

It definitely looks like Drosera capensis.  As Tropfrog says, they are very forgiving but tend to go to sleep over the winter months or at least lose some of their lower leaves which will go brown.  Don't split the plants at this time of year or repot them, only when they start growing strongly in the Spring.  You really want to try and give them some direct sunlight if at all possible and definitely only rainwater which you should keep shallow at this stage (1 - 2 cm) - just enough to keep the soil slightly damp on the top.  You can put them outside on a balcony or window ledge to catch the sun if practical, but preferably do not allow them to be frosted although they should survive light frosting.  Do not expect new growth until the spring.  Good luck!

Kind regards,  Rob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tropfrog said:

In my limited experience this is a very forgiving plant. It should recover as is. It is rain water in the tray, right?

Br

Magnus 

Hi Magnus,

Thank you for your reply! The water in the tray is not rain water, it is filtered water... I was hoping to be good enough. In any case I will buy distilled water and used that from now on.

What do you think about filtered water? I just have a regular water filter which claims to remove this from water:

• Lead up to approx. 99,5%
  • Copper up to approx. 98%
  • Cadmium up to about 99%
  • Phenol not more than about 99,5%
  • Benzene up to about 99%
  • Pesticides up to approx. 95%
  • Chloroform up to about 99,5%
  • Chlorine up to 100%

Thank You,

Catalin

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Hi Catalin

It definitely looks like Drosera capensis.  As Tropfrog says, they are very forgiving but tend to go to sleep over the winter months or at least lose some of their lower leaves which will go brown.  Don't split the plants at this time of year or repot them, only when they start growing strongly in the Spring.  You really want to try and give them some direct sunlight if at all possible and definitely only rainwater which you should keep shallow at this stage (1 - 2 cm) - just enough to keep the soil slightly damp on the top.  You can put them outside on a balcony or window ledge to catch the sun if practical, but preferably do not allow them to be frosted although they should survive light frosting.  Do not expect new growth until the spring.  Good luck!

Kind regards,  Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the reply and suggestions!

So do you think there's no way I can help the plant grow some new leaves or at least grow some dew on the leaves that it already has? My intention of buying this plant was to help me control the flies that are starting to develop in my vermicompost bin. But without the dew the plant cannot catch anything...

Thank You,

Catalin

4 hours ago, catalinux777 said:

Hi Magnus,

Thank you for your reply! The water in the tray is not rain water, it is filtered water... I was hoping to be good enough. In any case I will buy distilled water and used that from now on.

What do you think about filtered water? I just have a regular water filter which claims to remove this from water:

• Lead up to approx. 99,5%
  • Copper up to approx. 98%
  • Cadmium up to about 99%
  • Phenol not more than about 99,5%
  • Benzene up to about 99%
  • Pesticides up to approx. 95%
  • Chloroform up to about 99,5%
  • Chlorine up to 100%

Thank You,

Catalin

You need water without alcaline minerals. If your tap water is naturally acidic, you might get away with it. But Most likelly no. Get rain or destilled water.

Br

Magnus     

• Like 1

20 hours ago, catalinux777 said:

So do you think there's no way I can help the plant grow some new leaves or at least grow some dew on the leaves that it already has? My intention of buying this plant was to help me control the flies that are starting to develop in my vermicompost bin. But without the dew the plant cannot catch anything...

You may get the plant to recover somewhat over the next couple of weeks and get some dew on the leaves but unless it has some sun and warm temperatures I doubt it will grow more leaves at this time of year.  The plant naturally does not grow much over the winter months.

Here is an article on growing Drosera capensis you may find useful - Drosera capensis growing care - although you can also find cultural instructions for  the plant on most carnivorous plant nurseries.

Kind regards,  Rob 

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1