Brocchinia reducta and Catposis breretonia

Guest MadAboutCPs

• 1 month later...

I got a Brocchinia a few months ago. It's in a mix of sphagnum peat, sand, vermiculite (I think- those silvery bits), perlite & bark, and is growing very well. From what I've read, however, it's not too fussy, and will do well in peat, sand & perlite mixes. From what I've read & my own fairly limited experience, the trick is to always water from above & allow the compost to drain freely, never standing the pot in water. My plant is in an unheated terrarium, but I have read also that it is not to fussy about temperatures either, as long as frost is avoided. Bear in mind that the plant lives near Heliamphora in the wild, & presumably should be at its best in conditions that are suitable for the Heliamphora species.

Hope this helps,

Hey Christian,

They appreciate an open mix. Something like sand, perlite and small amount of peat and orchid bark is good. Down here they don't need to be grown in a lowland chamber and can easily grow in an area that doesn't experience frost. I know that Catopsis grows well when mounted but not sure about Brocchinia.

I'd love to get a Catopsis. My Brocchinia is doing very well with my highland Neps in half peat half perlite. Growing great along with all the easy growing highlanders.

I frankly doubt that any carnivorous media wouldn't work.

My Catopsis and Brocchinia are both grown in my unheated green house and don't have any trouble with them. I don't know what the mix is as they came potted but do need repotting now. I would assume that some humis in the mix would be good.

George

Greg Allan,

I also give the plants full sun. Some ppl I know stand the plant in water. Personally I water from above - having consulted a few bromilade growers, I decided to treat it as a typical bromilade as opposed to a typical cp. But I always ensure there is water in its water thank.

Overall, I think it's quite a hardy plant. i'm growing mine in a mixture of peat and sand.