Plantfreak

Can pinguicula catch aphids?

Not in my experience.  Aphids are crafty little sods and hide in the non-carnivorous parts of Pings such as the grow point and underneath new leaves.

My bigger pinguiculas gigantea catch them... Gaz says the true, but pinguicula gigantea have the peculiarity of both sides of the leaves (upper and down) with glue... young giganteas, anywhere, don’t catch them;-)

In these pictures you can see a recently divided plantlet that is big enough to catch a winged aphid with the down page of the leaf;-)

0733E995-1E4A-4095-BB57-C3773F671D5E.jpeg

66280CE8-84C9-48F9-9036-B9BD35413E7C.jpeg

Edited by Argo88

11 hours ago, Argo88 said:

My bigger pinguiculas gigantea catch them... Gaz says the true, but pinguicula gigantea have the peculiarity of both sides of the leaves (upper and down) with glue... young giganteas, anywhere, don’t catch them;-)

In these pictures you can see a recently divided plantlet that is big enough to catch a winged aphid with the down page of the leaf;-)

Argo you are the "lucky" one to have aphids land on your gigantea :wink:  ...for me they always hide on young plants of smaller species :mad:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Argo you are the "lucky" one to have aphids land on your gigantea :wink:  ...for me they always hide on young plants of smaller species :mad:

You said the true another time... but I help my luck: I grow a single species of Mexican pinguicula: pinguicula gigantea:lol::lol:

good night, my friend!! I hope in future to see some photos of your other pinguiculas:tu:

• Haha 1