Oh dear, this one is not well

jpjeffery

Hello

There is more info needed about growing conditions to determine what's wrong with your plant (what kind of soil, water, light, humidity... ). Check also if you find any signs of pests. 

Jasper

• Like 1

Fortunately its a capensis so is nigh on indestructible, how long have you had it? has it dried out? has it been over 30C? what water have you been using to water it?

Anyhow, assuming its a physical manifestation rather than pests, remove the dead brown bits, stand it in a tray of rainwater/distilled/RO water till at least September about 25mm deep, give it every last photon of light you can, but not excessive temperatures and it will come back all dewey and green. Then repot in spring if you want/need to using a 50/50 mix of Sphagnum moss peat and perlite.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by billynomates666
Smelling wristache
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, jasperD said:

Hello

There is more info needed about growing conditions to determine what's wrong with your plant (what kind of soil, water, light, humidity... ). Check also if you find any signs of pests. 

Jasper

I'll have a look for pests, but as for the other list, I'm not sure. This plant was bought by my wifey, and the plant hasn't been moved on so it's in the soil it was supplied in. The window it's in faces northwest and is in the kitchen. I don't know at the moment how much she waters it.

11 hours ago, billynomates666 said:

Fortunately its a capensis so is nigh on indestructible, how long have you had it? has it dried out? has it been over 30C? what water have you been using to water it?

Anyhow, assuming its a physical manifestation rather than pests, remove the dead brown bits, stand it in a tray of rainwater/distilled/RO water till at least September about 25mm deep, give it every last photon of light you can, but not excessive temperatures and it will come back all dewey and green. Then repot in spring if you want/need to using a 50/50 mix of Sphagnum moss peat and perlite.

Cheers

Steve

I guess we've had it for about two months. It would have been watered with tap water (hard water). I'll go for the standing in water you mentioned. We have a lean-to (translucent roof) I could put it in, but clearly that can get pretty hot during warm, sunny weather.

I guess from your fix that these plants should should be kept in quite wet soil, right?

Thanks for the responses, Jasper and Steve.

Hi jpjeffery

They dont like hard water I'm afraid which may be some of the problem. Flush it through a few times with rainwater, if you can, to get rid of the build up of minerals, then stand it in a shallow tray of water - yes they do like it wet during the growing season.

They are OK with high temperatures but start to loose dew if kept for long periods in temperatures above something like 30C.

If you can give it more light than a NW window, please do, they are OK outside if you have a garden

Good luck

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...