Hi from Lancashire

Aldad

Hi all, I'm from Lancashire and am fairly new to growing Carnivorous Plants, coming to them quite late in my life in my 60s. Apart from the usual VFT as a kid, I have very little experience of growing these amazing plants. About 2 years ago I bought my first sarracenia from a plant nursery in Norfolk, I was hooked. I was fortunate to visit Triffid.nurseries.co.uk where I purchased several sarracenia, VFT, Drosera, which I planted outside, thankfully these came through the Winter. I have added to my collection by purchasing more sarracenia, VFT, Drosera, as well as a Nepenthes Ventrata, 3 tropical Pinguicula (kept in my shower room), 1 Pinguicula Grandiflora, and several urtricularia. You could say I have got the bug. Hopefully I will learn more about the various CPs from you guys. I am hoping to purchase VFT DCXL  and B52 of course. 

hi Aldad, welcome to the forums.  Sounds like you're getting quite a collection there.  Post some pictures when you have time.  I hope you find your time on here informative and enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gaz, thank you, here are pics of some of my sarracenia. They are planted outside in large planters, in a mix of 50/50 peat and perlite. Whilst they look ok, as soon as the pitchers get to a decent height they fall over ☹ What am I doing wrong.

20200509_171734.jpg

20200509_171726.jpg

hi Aldad,
I have a similar plant, by coincidence it is also kept outside.  For me they just don't grow very well.  Late starts due to frosts and high winds seem to stop them thriving in my garden.  How's the climate over there?  Won't be that different to mine I'd have thought.  Just one thought, how are you watering those large planters?

Hi Gaz,

Here are the rest of my CPs my pinguicula and Nepenthes Ventrata. They are growing on my sunny SW facing shower room window sill. They are doing really well. I am feeding them with freeze dried blood worm.

20200712_171012.jpg

20200712_171029.jpg

Hi Aldad, i have a sarracenia growing indoors on a south facing windowsill and one of its pitchers has fallen over also. It's just one of those things i think. I'm hoping the rest will be ok.

Which Sarracenia's do you have? Psittacina by any chance?

Edited by pirks

Hi Pirks,

Thanks for that, yeah we might just have to put up with it ☹  My Sarracenia are: Juthatip Soper, flava copper top, flava red pitcher - North Carolina, flava rubricorpa - Liberty county N Florida, flava rubella, and 2 purpurea vinosa. I don't have Psittacina. 

Neps look good, I tried them once but they didn't like my conditions and died.  I'm not that keen on viney type plants anyway, take up too much space for me.  What species of Mexican Pings do you have and what's that one next to the Nep?

5 hours ago, Aldad said:

Hi Pirks,

Thanks for that, yeah we might just have to put up with it ☹  My Sarracenia are: Juthatip Soper, flava copper top, flava red pitcher - North Carolina, flava rubricorpa - Liberty county N Florida, flava rubella, and 2 purpurea vinosa. I don't have Psittacina. 

incoming p.m

cheers Aldad, no worries, I do think Neps are fantastic plants but there are so many other things to grow that I don't feel any great loss about not having them.  P cyclosecta, one of my favourites with it's blue edged leaves and great flowers.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Aldad said:

Hi Gaz, thank you, here are pics of some of my sarracenia. They are planted outside in large planters, in a mix of 50/50 peat and perlite. Whilst they look ok, as soon as the pitchers get to a decent height they fall over ☹ What am I doing wrong.

20200509_171734.jpg

20200509_171726.jpg

They're infested with aphids. Spray them with BugClear Ultra.

Eek! Is it safe to use Bug Clear Ultra on them? Honestly Alexis, both myself and my house mate, had a look and didn't see any, maybe we should both have gone to Specsavers lol

Edited by Aldad
I wanted to make a change

You might be in luck and a passing ladybird ate them since the photo was taken! Bug Clear Ultra is safe and effective. It's going to be looking pretty tatty for a while though I'm afraid. Keep an eye on new growth and hopefully they'll be fine. Everybody gets aphids sometimes, even in greenhouses.