VFT in Elho Grow Table

Hi I am new to growing CPs and need help/advice please. I do not have a greenhouse yet, so am growing VFTs outside in NW England. Currently in pots of 50/50 peat/perlite. I am considering purchasing an Elho Grow Table and Cover. Would it be ok to fill the grow table up with growing medium and plant VFT directly into this? Any help/info/advice please.

https://www.elho.com/en/collection/product/8711904303945/gb-grow-table-super-xxl-living-black/

Elho-Green-Basics-Grow-Table-XXL-plus-lid-731x1024.jpg

It states on the website that it has drainage holes which could be a problem as your medium will dry out.  Do you have anything you could put gravel trays on then just put an inch or so of (rain/distilled/RO) water in to stand your VFT pots in?

Hi Gaz, yeah I have trays which would work. I was intending to keep the VFTs outside all year. I could seal the drainage holes and top the whole thing up with peat/vermiculite as I have a good supply. Although if you think that gravel trays would be a better option, I will try that. The unit does have a clear perspex lid, which I thought could be used in place as a cold frame.

Hi Aldad, it sounds like you have a plan and it's always good to experiment and find what works best in your own conditions.  Would you be able to tell what level the water is in the mix?  You could rig up some kind of level tube or syphon perhaps, or just poke a finger in but it would be good to know to what level the water comes as VFTs aren't usually grown totally flooded.  So, in that case your lid will come in handy when it's chucking it down with rain for days on end.  

Other growers do grow them outside all year round and I believe they have good results but I don't have much experience of that.  You might need to get some advice from them as some plants will survive happily outdoors in our climate for years but they may not necessarily thrive.  At least outdoors you can be sure they will get their dormancy.  Good luck and post some photos with your final setup.

Hi Gaz, The good news is that the grow table and lid arrived today, the bad news, its pouring with rain. You have given me something to think about re water levels.Hopefully I will get time at the weekend, to sort something out. I will of course post some pics once I have sorted it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well here they are, 20200509_171706.thumb.jpg.58880872c2f797807b847f2932639dba.jpga bit late, but non the less I did promise Gaz to post final set up. The first pic is grow table filled with a mix of 50/50 peat and perlite. I planted drosera and a few small VFT straight into the medium. The second pic is the other grow table, containing my VFTs, which are grown in individual pots of a mix of peat, perlite and horticultural sand.  

20200712_132255.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, it'll be interesting to see how they grow.  You even have room for a couple of additions in the second one :yes: .  I always regret not taking regular pictures of my plants to see how things develop (or not occasionally!). Might be worth thinking about for you too.  Good luck, I hope they all grow well for you.

• 1 month later...