Are the real Hummer's Giant?

Simeon

Hello,

Some days ago I have bought these Cephalotus as Hummer's Giant.

I send these Cephalotus image at my friend that is really really expert and he said that is not the real one because of thin necktie.

What do you think about these Cephalotus?

Thanks 

Simeon

IMG_20200610_201218.jpg

IMG_20200610_195025.jpg

IMG_20200610_181704.jpg

To be honest, the cultivar description for Hummer's Giant is dreadful and I don't think anyone could say with confidence that they have the plant described in the description.

7 hours ago, mobile said:

To be honest, the cultivar description for Hummer's Giant is dreadful and I don't think anyone could say with confidence that they have the plant described in the description.

Ah ok, thanks a lot. Do you know exactly what are the Hummer's Giant features, except size? 

Edited by Simeon

I'm not sure that anyone knows what the true Hummer's Giant looks like, as the cultivar description does not describe the shape. In addition, it suggests that John Hummer may have distributed more than one clone with the same name.

The cultivar description can be found here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n4p116_122.html#hummers

Here you can find pictures of what people have called Hummer's Giant, but you will see that there are some variances: https://cpphotofinder.com/cephalotus-hummers-giant-2011.html

@dimitar might be able to help with identification, as he has quite a keen eye for Cephalotus shapes.

33 minutes ago, mobile said:

I'm not sure that anyone knows what the true Hummer's Giant looks like, as the cultivar description does not describe the shape. In addition, it suggests that John Hummer may have distributed more than one clone with the same name.

The cultivar description can be found here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n4p116_122.html#hummers

Here you can find pictures of what people have called Hummer's Giant, but you will see that there are some variances: https://cpphotofinder.com/cephalotus-hummers-giant-2011.html

@dimitar might be able to help with identification, as he has quite a keen eye for Cephalotus shapes.

Ok, I will wait @dimitar

Thanks for the other info

Some years ago I received a HG from a UK growers, who had been growing it for many years and I believe that it was distributed throughout Europe as HG, but it has a different picther shape than those I have seen in the US. As I mentioned before, there may have been more than one clone distributed by John Hummer as HG and I also think that there are a lot of mislabelled ones out there too.

9 minutes ago, mobile said:

Some years ago I received a HG from a UK growers, who had been growing it for many years and I believe that it was distributed throughout Europe as HG, but it has a different picther shape than those I have seen in the US. As I mentioned before, there may have been more than one clone distributed by John Hummer as HG and I also think that there are a lot of mislabelled ones out there too.

Yes I know that there are a lot of mislabelled unfortunatelly...could be really interesting to be able to speak directly with Jonh Hummer about that.

2 hours ago, mobile said:

Especially I like this part from the cultivar description:

Editor's note: ....... Growers with gigantic Cephalotus specimens can be quite confident it is the same clone that John described in his article. John is busy with his fieldwork and collection, so is unable to send people specimens of this cultivar, but if you want it-look around. It is increasingly common in collections. (BAMR)"

3 minutes ago, dimitar said:

Especially I like this part from the cultivar description:

Editor's note: ....... Growers with gigantic Cephalotus specimens can be quite confident it is the same clone that John described in his article. John is busy with his fieldwork and collection, so is unable to send people specimens of this cultivar, but if you want it-look around. It is increasingly common in collections. (BAMR)"

hahahahah "It is increasingly common", I really don't think that:sad:

10 minutes ago, dimitar said:

Editor's note: ....... Growers with gigantic Cephalotus specimens can be quite confident it is the same clone that John described in his article."

I Measured this one 7.5cm pitcher, so is this 'Hummer's Giant'?

66484746_2324578994246327_1784774621925474304_o.jpg

:lol: there are a lot of confusion about that...

The ISHS states 'The ICRA should try to ensure that the registrant is prompted into giving an account of characteristics that are likely to be diagnostic. Descriptive information recorded will vary greatly between some denomination classes.'

Personally, I don't think the the cultivar registration of Hummer's Giant is particularly descriptive and I do not believe it to be sufficient to allow differentiation of the clone.

13 minutes ago, mobile said:

The ISHS states 'The ICRA should try to ensure that the registrant is prompted into giving an account of characteristics that are likely to be diagnostic. Descriptive information recorded will vary greatly between some denomination classes.'

Personally, I don't think the the cultivar registration of Hummer's Giant is particularly descriptive and I do not believe it to be sufficient to allow differentiation of the clone.

Yes, correct, the description about Hummer's giant is very poor.

A DNA analisys would be needed...