Sign in to follow this  
Oleksii

P. grandiflora in dormancy

Hi everyone!

Recently I got two P. grandiflora plants and apparently they already went to dormancy. What is preferable to do with them now? As I've found this happened probably due to stressful conditions and later they may start to grow again, but should I consider to move them into cold place or I can leave them outside and keep through summer as it is and hope that later  this year or next year they will be fine?

Thank you for all suggestions.

All the best,

Oleksii

P.S. Just in case adding picture, maybe I think wrong

20200530_104645.jpg

20200531_154021.jpg

Edited by Oleksii

Yes, the same thing is happening to my P. grandiflora, which are 2nd-year seedlings.

In fact, I have had then on a East-Southeast windowsill with some Mexican Pings, because I didn't have time to make an anti-pigeon screen earlier in the season. (Problems/ concerns with a mitre saw and making circles).

I am contemplating, whether to just leave them alone (option 1) or alternatively, to try artificially wintering them in the refrigerator and so going for a double growing season(option 2) . But, owing to known daylength and light frequency sensitivity in plants generally, it may be necessary to keep the hibernaculae, once full-developed, in the 'fridge till next spring (option 3).

DSC_0209.JPG

temperate pinguicula need to be grown outside!    they will grow inside but long term it will do them harm and eventually lead to death.

They form premature hibernacula when they get too warm,they will resume growth again when it cools down but this is at the expense of the plants energy reserves and it will be smaller and then when winter comes it might not have the reserves to survive until spring.

They need to be outside

• Like 1

I agree with ADA.

all temperate species must stay outside all year round (no refrigerator needed),I would even say Mexican from May to October

'in situ' often hibernacula form in JULY - AUGUST .

I think we should leave them outside here, even at the risk of restarting, but nevertheless bring them in if they have leaves when it freezes (this risks making them die)

• Like 1

Hello again.

Big thanks for replies. I guess there was a little misunderstanding - I was not going to grow them inside, but thank you for your considerations.

As you all suggested (and I already kinda have decided too) I would leave them outside, especially it doesn't look like there would be hot weather any time soon.

Thank you all again!