Hi everyone, 

I am into other plants and have been growing them indoors, when looking for natural remedies for fungus gnats I came across pings and ordered one online - and straight away ordered some more CP's! Now I'm hooked and put in another order and feel both excited as well as a little bit naughty for going on a shopping spree! I have a question: 

I want to give the plants a bit more sun, so I am thinking of putting them outside on the roof each day if it's not too windy (I live in the attic of a city apartmentbldg.) and I have two questions:

1. Do I have to worry about seagulls destroying my sarracenia?

2. Do the plants mind the abrupt change in environment during the day?

3. Do I have to worry about fungus gnat infestations?

Any input would be appreciated! 

Adult sarracenias dont do very well in the winter in heated appartement. They Will need  to experience winter dormancy.

6 hours ago, Tropfrog said:

Adult sarracenias dont do very well in the winter in heated appartement. They Will need  to experience winter dormancy.

Thanks for the heads up Topfrog, I'm moving country in October so hopefully my new home will have a garden/basement! 

Hi Weedabix

I've never heard of seagulls taking a fancy to Sarracenia and there are a fair few growers close to the coastal regions in this forum - so a qualified no to that one.

No plant likes abrupt changes in environment, especially on a daily basis, if you have Sarracenias put them outside and if they are braced against the wind (including sticks and ties to the pitchers if necessary), stood in water and in full sun, they should acclimate to the conditions unless the area is exceptionally exposed.

Fungus gnats are not normally a big problem and can be controlled.

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve, 

that was super helpful! I have now decided to put them under a diy grow light which I am almost finished building.  This should hopefully be fine for them until I move in late October. 
And I  ordered a bunch more plants from Hampshire Carnivores and can’t wait for them to arrive! 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, weedabix said:

And I  ordered a bunch more plants from Hampshire Carnivores and can’t wait for them to arrive! 

I was down at Matthew's nursery the other week. He's got some fantastic plants. I hope you enjoy yours. Needless to say, I bought more than I should have :wink: (if there's such a thing).

On 5/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, linuxman said:

I was down at Matthew's nursery the other week. He's got some fantastic plants. I hope you enjoy yours. Needless to say, I bought more than I should have :wink: (if there's such a thing).

The plants have arrived - and they look really good! Super healthy! I hope they stay that way! I have now finished my setup indoors and I am quite pleased with it! I have 4 diy led grow lights (bridgelux eb2 gen 3 3500K running at around 20W each) and I have put a window in front of the Nepenthes. On a hot day like yesterday, temps were creeping up to almost 30C in our flat so hopefully this will keep moisture up. Most of my plants are hybrids, but I am already keen to get some species of nepenthes and pinguiculas. 

On the pictures you see some pings and sarracenia on the top left, and right, top middle are droseras and an utricularia, bottom shelves are some orchids on the left and the Nepenthes on the right. Oh and some basil of course! 

My love for cp's escalated quickly! It's almost like I'm competing my girlfriend in her orchid addiction! 

I think I might introduce a fan soon to get the air moving a bit! It's hard to see but there is actually a gap between the perspex and the dividing board in the middle and I also left a gap at the height of the light on the right to let warm air escape. 

If you spot any other issues with this setup, please let me know!

Best wishes and thanks for the warm welcome! 

weedabix

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg