Is this suitable for nepenthes?

Hi all

I'm growing a nepenthes X ventrata on my windowsill, I've got it elevated so that it isn't sitting directly in water; and I've been spraying the soil with RO water regularly to keep it sodden.

I can see it throwing out new leaves, but wondered if this method is better than using a long tom pot sitting in water? 

Or if just the same really?

IMG_20200502_180230.jpg

Hi!! Well done!! In my experience nepenthes x ventrata is a very strong hybrid... I’ve grown one that was half died in my girlfriend hands... I keep it and it liked very much always 2/3 mm of water in the tray... when I changed home I had to give it to a friend because it was too big... now, after 3 years it is still alive and healty, and my friend hasn’t never grown other carnivorous plants... so don’t be afraid: you’ll be successful in growing it!;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Hi!! Well done!! In my experience nepenthes x ventrata is a very strong hybrid... I’ve grown one that was half died in my girlfriend hands... I keep it and it liked very much always 2/3 mm of water in the tray... when I changed home I had to give it to a friend because it was too big... now, after 3 years it is still alive and healty, and my friend hasn’t never grown other carnivorous plants... so don’t be afraid: you’ll be successful in growing it!;-)

Hi Argo, thanks for your reply! 

From what you've said, does your method also elevate the plant, or sit the pot directly into the 2/3mm of water? 

Do you have any pictures of your set-up?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Argo88 said:

Hi Purpurea!

sorry but I don’t have pictures...

The pot stayed in the tray, like my others carnivorous plants... Only, I put just 2/3 mm of water in the tray;-)

I see! 

I was a bit hesitant to grow it on the windowsill due to humidity concerns, but as you pointed out it certainly seems a hardy plant so I'm excited and hope it does well, the extra leaves it's throwing out are very reassuring!

I do however wonder how it would cope once we're back to the colder, winter months!

In the colder months, if you don’t give it additional light, it will not produce new pitchers... it is all ok, it will be it again the spring... in my experience nepenthes xventrata  doesn’t need very high humidity... with the tray method the plant was doing very well, without spraying it at all... when it will be a little bigger you’ll must to put a stick near the plant stem to substain it... without it the plant can stop to produce pitchers... my plant was 2,5 m tall when I cut it stem (I hadn’t place enough) but it can grow more than 3 m... nepenthes x ventrata that you find in garden center should be all female plants;-)

If the plant can survive winter without extra light is dependent of your location.

From the answer given you now know that it works in Italy.  I can add that I have failed in south facing Window in Gothenburg, Sweden.

I have no idea about Paysley, but for sure the conditions have more similarities to Gothenburg than Italy. I would give supplemental light.    

On 5/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, Tropfrog said:

If the plant can survive winter without extra light is dependent of your location.

From the answer given you now know that it works in Italy.  I can add that I have failed in south facing Window in Gothenburg, Sweden.

I have no idea about Paysley, but for sure the conditions have more similarities to Gothenburg than Italy. I would give supplemental light.    

I live in extreme North East of Italy, at the border between Italy, Austria and Slovenia... I’m very much closer to Lubiana and Vienna than Rome, and closer to Berlin than Naples and Sicily... my country is the coldest and foggiest of Italy;-)

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite a healthy looking plant. I wouldn't leave Neps standing in water, they don't particularly like it. I wouldn't keep spraying the soil. Just don't let it dry out. I like to use a bottom feeding fish food in the pitchers, just a little , not too much.