accidental hybridisation?

Chimaera

Amongst the self seeded drosera in the greenhouse (lots of capensis, intermedia, spatulata, a couple of filiformis) are a couple of plants like this which I do not recognise- although young they are more robust and larger than the intermedia and anglica I have, and clearly not capensis with different leaves and they formed a true hibernaculum in winter. Are Drosera known for hybridising without help? and if so, any idea what the parents may be- last year I had capensis, intermedia (a couple of types of each), spatulata, filiformis and rotundifolia flowering at the same time.

IMG_3142.JPG

Hi ! I've experienced similar occurrences before, although do not currently grow any drosera. In particular I had a wonderful plant, either a turbo-charged Drosera intermedia or a fluke hybrid, that grew larger from its hibernacula each year until resembling a splendid, geometrical 'pincushion'. The petioles were deep red in high season, as yours may well be.

However, perhaps I can help a little.... There is a hybrid of DD rotundifolia and intermedia, this is called Drosera x obovata. Also, there is a hybrid of DD rotundifolia and anglica, and this is D. x beleziana. There are also forms of Drosera intermedia I believe, that grow bigger and more impressive than the 'average' or type. It is my belief that sundew hybrids are not fertile, although not 100% certain of this. There are different sections within Drosera,  such that 'random' hybrids say, between south African and northern hemisphere / temperate species do not occur.

Perhaps the first test will be to see if you set fertile seed from this cultivar?

Please keep us posted !

Thanks; it seems not to be a one off and there are 3 like this (probably far more but I weeded out a lot of seedings in other pots) which are twice as large and more red than any intermedia I have. Hopefully it will flower soon which will give more clue and if it sets seed I will collect it. 

• 2 years later...