Ben’s mum

Ben’s mum

I have had Ben the Sarracenia For about 18 months now. He did great after his first winter in the shed and came out was trimmed and grew a nice big flower, however, this year he isn’t doing so great.

I trimmed the brown dead pitchers off in early March and I’ve been waiting for new ones to grow but so far no sign. On closer inspection there is a grey white powdery mildew on one part of the base and lots of little tiny brown/black dots all over the rest of it. He is in full sunlight and has plenty of tasty rainwater. I’m at a loss as to what to do next, please help.

Hi Bens Mum

Unfortunately it looks like Ben has rhizome rot. lift the rhizome and snap it in half, it should be white inside, if it is brown and corky, cut that back progressively till you hit solid white, which if there is any, is likely to be at the very end by what would be the growing tips. 

If you find white rhizome plant it in NEW sterile media or Sphagnum and keep very wet and you may get a result. 

Get rid of the old media and dead rhizome in a sanitary manner.

Good luck, I think you will need it.

Steve

Edited by billynomates666
of to or
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Ben went through major surgery this morning and I’m sad to inform you that he was brown and mushy the whole way through. Poor Ben.

Should I ever be callous enough to try to replace Ben, how do I ensure I don’t get rhizome rot in the future?

7A5E6FAB-5DBD-4CC7-B660-82E49703215E.jpeg

You would be much better leaving Ben Mk2 somewhere sheltered outside over winter. You'll be surprised how hardy most sarracenia are. Too soft on the boy, that's why he turned rotten....

Ahh poor Ben, may he rest in pieces.  It may seem a bit callous, but he has hundreds of worthy relations out there looking to be adopted, jump back in,  give some of his kin a home, it's what he would have wanted.

As Dunc says if you can keep the plants outside pease do, the sun wind and rain do them a lot of good and make them more robust, turgid and colourful.

Cheers

Steve

On 4/1/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ben’s mum said:

Cheers all - I have got over Ben's death and ordered some more Bens, who will be treated far more harshly, outside living, plenty of flies and North-Western weather. 

:)

Well done !!!
Maybe in winter reduce the water if you use saucers.

Mine can get flooded over winter with no sign of rot ever outside. I am in sunny Hampshire so may not be a fair comparison.  However, my mother has sarracenia I've given her sat permanently in her pond North of Bolton so you should have no problem in Wigan:yes: