Sign in to follow this  
Guy

Deep VFTs

Over winter the moss on lots of the VFTs has grown really well!  This means the VFTs are now a couple of centimetres below the surface.

They are all waking up and beginning to put new traps out.

Should I repot them so they are nearer the surface, or will they be OK?

Thanks.

Guy

Hi! Usually moss is not a big problem in this case, consider that vft's naturally tend to sink into the substrate. I repot plants every 2 or 3 years and sometimes i find very "stretched" rhizome.

It is usually best to repot annually to avoid flytraps being choked out by moss.  I'd highly recommend a repot right now.

Thanks.  There are about 10 of my VFTs which have become covered by moss over winter.  The rest are OK.  I'll get those 10 repotted and hopefully all will be well with them.

Guy

Decided to repot all the VFTs.  Goodness me--there's now dozens of them in pots!  Hadn't realised they'd produced so many offspring.  Seemed a shame to throw all the little ones away.

What do most people do with these babies?

Guy

7 hours ago, Guy said:

Decided to repot all the VFTs.  Goodness me--there's now dozens of them in pots!  Hadn't realised they'd produced so many offspring.  Seemed a shame to throw all the little ones away.

What do most people do with these babies?

Guy

Pot up, grow on or pass on ;-)