Sealing holes in planter to make tank

So, my wife bought me a couple of 100cm planters to use in the greenhouse.  I'd like to put some Sarrs in them but unfortunately they came with drainage holes.  So I'm thinking of sticking strips of pond liner (butile) over the chanels, where the holes are, with some kind of silicon sealant.  I've been looking at all the usual shower/bath type sealants but I would like to ask if there is any reason why I shouldn't use a silicon based sealant or if there is some other product which would be more suitable.

Thanks for any advise.

If you use pond liner or thick polythene, make sure it comes well up the inside of the planter.  Then you have a sealed reservoir many centimetres deep which will be deep enough to hold a large enough quantity of water for the Sarracenias.  Alternatively, make sure the planter is always standing in a water tray as you would do for a regular carnivorous plant pot.

Kind regards,  Rob

Thanks for the advice guys.  They are plastic so I'll have a look at the fix and seal product rather than silicon.  The holes are in channels running along both sides of the bottom so I plan to "stick" (using substance to be decided) the long strips of the pond liner.  I'll then cut a larger piece of the pond line to cover the whole bottom of the planter and glue it in place.  Unfortunately, due to space restrictions, I won't be able to stand the planters in another tray.  The planters will be my only water reservoir for these plants which is why I need to ensure the holes are perfectly sealed.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Gaz,if the planters are dry and warm,then silicone will do the job very well.   leave them in the house for a good few hours then seal them and let the silicone go off and wait until the smell is gone.    they should be fine then.  

1 hour ago, ada said:

Gaz,if the planters are dry and warm,then silicone will do the job very well.   leave them in the house for a good few hours then seal them and let the silicone go off and wait until the smell is gone.    they should be fine then.  

Cheers Ada, yes they're bone dry and in the house at the moment.  Still have a bit of time to get things right before the growing seasons starts so I'll be having a go with one of them this weekend.