Sign in to follow this  
pim

50W LED downward heat output

Hi, 

I am in the middle of setting up a new terrarium (800mm wide, 600mm deep and 1000mm high, although a lot of height will be used for the water reservoir and high pots, so substrate level will be around 600mm under the LEDs). The walls will hold epiphytic plants, so thats why the tank is rather tall.

For lighting I am leaning towards 4 to 6 50W LEDs (most likely CREE CXB3590 or something similar,  maybe in combination with lenses). Heat sinks will be outside the main body of the tank, But I am worrying about the downward heat output of the LEDs, since most of the plant require highland conditions. I was hoping to keep the cooling of the tank mainly a night thing, so if anyone has experienced that these LEDs put out a lot of heat, I might have to find a different solution.

Thanks in advance for your experiences, tips and whatnot!

A 90 watt draw MarsHydro SP250, with the transformer and heat sinks outside is enough to raise the temperature of a well insulated propagator 140cm x 50 x 60 by about 20 degrees .  Hope that helps