UK and plants after Brexit

I know that at the end of January UK is out of EU but as far as I know UK will still be subject to EU laws and regulation until 20 of December.  I buy many plants from UK but i'm afraid that plants will be stuck somewhere because of backstop or something else which can have bad results. My question is this:  will buying plants from UK still be the same for the remaining of this year or do I have to start panicking and buy some plants that I want until the end of this month?

Who knows? The plant health and safety people are unsure of what to tell us.Do we need a plant passport to sell plants or not (over the internet)European growers say it only applies to business,s but the UK ,PHSI people say we need one to sell,unless doing business face to face with th buyer.

23 hours ago, ada said:

Who knows? The plant health and safety people are unsure of what to tell us.Do we need a plant passport to sell plants or not (over the internet)European growers say it only applies to business,s but the UK ,PHSI people say we need one to sell,unless doing business face to face with th buyer.

so we wont need a permit to sell among growers on this forum? I guess talking on skype/fb etc. could be considered face to face no?

• 1 month later...

Take a look at Norway.

Something like that is probable. If we come to a reasonable 'deal' with The EU that is.

This is the insanity of it all. I can still buy from The US but a seller in France needs to be deleted from my list!

Nobody can know for sure. However, importing from countries outside EU to EU requires a phytosanitary certificate, not plant passport. So that is a likelly outcome. What uk government put as restrictions on export is really even harder to guess. I heard that they require plant passport today. So worst case scenario is plant passport and phytosanitary certificate. That Will for sure kill all hobby related trades. Lets hope they can come up with a better solution.

Br

Magnus 

This is one of the few things about Brexit I am reasonably confident about- there is a huge trade on plants, with a vast proportion of house and garden plants and growing herbs in the UK coming from other EU countries, especially the Netherlands, whilst many seed potatoes in the EU come from Scotland so there will have to be a deal that makes that easy.

Phytosanitary certificate or plant passport is not really troublesome or expensive if you are än importer and wholesaler importing plants by thousands. So dont expect that any deal that Will benefit the Commercial plant business Will benefit the hobby as well.

Br

Magnus