Sign in to follow this  
Steve.g

D.schizandra

Anyone know how to look after a d schizandra. I'm watching mine slowly turn brown and die and it's not good. The info on the net is as always conflicting. Some say keep it standing in water others say it's going to get root rot if I do that. Some say put it in a container to raise humidity. Sun or no sun. I'm very confused.

Edited by Steve.g

The best schizandra I ever grew I grew in an unheated room in an East facing window, growing in lfs, watered with distilled water enough to keep it nice and damp but not soaking wet. Temps were never higher (and often lower) then 15/16C for the high and about 4C, or a bit lower, for the low, humidity was around 70% to 80%+. Plant went from about a centimeter across when I got it in November to about 15 or 16 centimeters in March when it flowered. Unfortunately, when summer rolled around and the temps went up, it promptly died. .

• Like 1

I have created a habitat for the d. Schizandra using two Haribo tubs. The idea being that I can keep it cool and humid by a window in this. During the summer I can load some ice cubes into the outer tub to keep it cool.