Drosera Aliciae question

Hello! I just bought a Drosera Aliciae and have been keeping it under a plant light. The leaves have started to turn purplish red. Someone online said that's what supposed to happen, but someone else said the red color indicates that they are "sunburnt." I've read mixed information about this online. Anyone know if this is normal or not? Should i give it less light? Thanks!

1n75echla6r31.jpg

Edited by River
added picture

Both are correct in a way. Drosera (and in fact many other plants) quickly turn red if there's enough sunlight as a means to protect against being burned. At this point the plants are most definitely burned, despite the red colour mechanism, because they haven't seen light of such intensity for a long time. These leaves won't produce dew anymore. The new leaves, however, will be adapted to the strong lights, won't burn, but will still look reddish. The red colour goes away again as the light intensity diminishes. Usually, Drosera leaves will be a dark green, with red tentacles.

It's all very similar to humans getting a tan to protect against the sunlight. If you stay in the sunlight for too long before your skin has managed to acclimatise (by tanning), you'll get burned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1