Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

Can sarracenia seedling pitchers be fertilized by using a foliar spray.

I have read that they don't like nutrients around the roots,so I was wondering if a dilute from of worm tea in spray form would be ok.

The tea is derived from soaking a bag of worm castings in water,aerating it with a fish tank air stone,or stirring.The liquid is then dissolved in water 1 part tea to 10 parts water.Maybe diluted even further for sarracenia.

Worm castings are very good for starting vegetable seedlings as they don't burn young roots like other fertilisers,there are other benefits too,such as beneficial bacteria and natural fungicides.

I plan on using it on some seedlings as a trial,if any of you have already tried it,what were the results.

Mark

Seedlings can be fertilised with a weak fertiliser (normally a tenth of the normal plant dosage) by foliar spray or pipette into the pitcher and derive benefit. However I have absolutely no experience with worm casts on CPs so cant advise the dilution required, nor the possible action of the 'beneficial' bacteria in pitchers.

The results will be interesting, note the type of Sarracenia fertilised as not all make digestive enzymes. 

Cheers

Steve

It will be a while before I get a chance to try it.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark