Advice on Water

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the topic of water. In short, I collect alot rainwater which has lasted me all year without having to buy any large amounts of diironized water. However my sarracenia flava and dionea  have spread like crazy and  I plan to repot them into a bigger pots next year so their water need will go up and I have recently expanded the number of plants with 6 other small specimens of sarracenia.  I do have a few tropicals indoors too. I was wondering whether a zerowater filter might be my answer, or should I consider a reverse osmosis unit (RO) ( but would my collection size be worth buying it). I've never tested my tap water but I am planning on getting a TDS meter to test it. I do have an outside tap but I have no idea how to setup a RO with it or whether it needs good pressure. Really appreciate your help.

Edited by DCallan
correction

I bought one of these  couple of years ago:

Compact 4 stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter including DI Resin stage for Aquatics https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V28UWQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_H1HgVMKF5uv1w

Takes my 300+ ppm north Hants water down to sub 5 ppm (sometimes sub 1!). I hook it up to an outside tap to use and it can take a few days to fill a water butt. Low pressure means slower and more waste water but that's all. I added a couple of taps so I can keep the ro always wet (if they dry they die) and  pressure gauge. Still on the same to cartridge and am on my 3rd bag of resin. Always flush when I use.

You can pay more for better throughput and/or a pumped system but as a basic system this is fine. Don't really need the resin final stage either.

Hope this helps. Took me a bit of reading to work out what to buy!

• 2 weeks later...