Jonathan_Creek

Sarracenia Location Data and Codes

Hi all, I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere as to how location data works for Sarracenia? For an example of one I have seen and don't fully understand: 

SL05 S. leucophylla -- green & white citronelle ( L1-MK )

I am guessing SL05 is Sarracenia Leucophylla number 5, then the name of the plant. What I don't understand fully is L1? I think MK is Mike King. 

If anyone could help I would very much appreciate it :smile:

Anything you see with an "MK" label is one of Mike King's - of Shropshire Sarracenias - original plants and the "L1" in your example is Mike's own internal label for the plant.  Mike is located in Shropshire and is primarily a private collector and holds the UK  NCCPG National collection Sarracenia plants.  He usually holds 2 open days in June and October where he is open to anyone who wants to see his collection and maybe buy a few plants.  Well worth a visit as he has a very large collection of Sarracenias.

The "SL05" in your example is the current owner's collection number for the plant - as you say Sarracenia leucophylla number 5 - and will vary from one person to another depending how they wish to number their own personal collection.

Kind regards,  Rob

Edited by RobH

Hi Rob, 

Thanks so much for explaining this, it is really helpful. I am planning to see Mike King's collection for the first time in October :smile:

I was searching rare plants by the collection number, and sometimes getting conflicting results- that will explain why. Many thanks! 

Mike also has his own list of plants.  You will often see his initials "MK" on many Sarracenias both from commercial nurseries and private individuals as his plants are very popular worldwide.  

This is the latest list I know of - [url=http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com/Carnivorous Plant Price List 2017.pdf] Mike King's 2017 List [/url].  Note these are NOT his Open Day Dates for 2019.

I was there in June this year for his Open Day and asked for a more up-to-date list and Mike said he was working on it!  Hopefully in time for his October Open Day this year on 19 October 2019.

Kind regards,  Rob

Hmmm.  Not quite sure why that html is not displaying correctly but you can still click the link to see his list.

Edited by RobH

You might find this interesting:

ttp://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/plants/sarracenia/deconfusifier-explain.html 

- follow the link at the very bottom of the page. It is one person's attempt to clear up who has which clones and which number they apply to each clone. It's also an excellent library of photos of many of the clones that are in circulation. He has plenty of interesting stuff elsewhere on his website about sarracenia and plenty of other interesting genera. Check it out - it's great!

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Mike also has his own list of plants.  You will often see his initials "MK" on many Sarracenias both from commercial nurseries and private individuals as his plants are very popular worldwide.  

This is the latest list I know of - [url=http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com/Carnivorous Plant Price List 2017.pdf] Mike King's 2017 List [/url].  Note these are NOT his Open Day Dates for 2019.

I was there in June this year for his Open Day and asked for a more up-to-date list and Mike said he was working on it!  Hopefully in time for his October Open Day this year on 19 October 2019.

Kind regards,  Rob

Hmmm.  Not quite sure why that html is not displaying correctly but you can still click the link to see his list.

Thank you Rob, that makes sense. Ok, thank you for the list, that is a phenomenal list of plants! :yes: I can't wait to go, and the listings make much more sense now. 

44 minutes ago, Greg Seed said:

You might find this interesting:

ttp://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/plants/sarracenia/deconfusifier-explain.html 

- follow the link at the very bottom of the page. It is one person's attempt to clear up who has which clones and which number they apply to each clone. It's also an excellent library of photos of many of the clones that are in circulation. He has plenty of interesting stuff elsewhere on his website about sarracenia and plenty of other interesting genera. Check it out - it's great!

Thanks Greg, I have had a look and that is quite something! I will spend some time going through the website. It is very helpful in determining the different numbers, thank you!