George

Can I report my plants in August ?

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am new to this forum and also new to carnivorous plants.

i recently bought a Venus fly trap and a sarracenia hybrid from a local supermarket. Had been after some for a while but all the ones at garden centres always looked dry and on the verge of death. The pots that they have came in are tiny and have no drainage holes. I want to repot them because of this and have ordered some carnivorous plant potting mix. Is it ok to report these plants at this time of the year in the uk? Also, I have these plants positioned in an upstairs windowsill facing north. Does this sound ok for these plants?

thanks. 

Hello,

Normally it wouldn't be a good idea to repot now, but if they have no drainage holes it probably is for the best. I would keep the compost around the roots in place and just fill in around the current "rootball" in a pot just a little larger than the one they are in - as you would when repotting a shrub, for example. In other words, don't wash-off or disturb the roots.

Unfortunately a north-facing windowsill won't do - South is best. Don't be disheartened if they don't do well - try buying from a reputable CP nursery. I can vouch for Hewitt-Cooper CP, South West CP, PJ Plants and Hampshire CP. Healthy, well-grown plants are more likely to thrive and are well worth the extra money! Good luck!