Hello from South Wales

Greg Seed

Hello everyone,

I'm a lifelong Sarracenia addict who started collecting  nearly 30 years ago at the tender and impressionable age of eleven. 6 or 7 years ago I had to give up the fairly sizable collection i had amassed and do my best not to think about it! I moved to Wales a couple of years ago for a job as a gardener with the national trust and have found myself with a conservatory and garden to call my own, which I have already begun to fill with plants at a fairly alarming rate (my wife is very tolerant). Is buying 60 Sarracenia in 6 months the sign of a problem? Nah, didn't think so.

I love plants of all sorts, but am also particularly into aroids, bamboos and schefflera/araliaceae. Another plant obsession is always just around the corner...

Do meet-ups, plant swaps, "come and see my collection" things etc happen on here very often? Anyone in or around the Vale of Glamorgan likely to be up for plant swaps in the next couple of years?

Looking forward to hobnobbing, seeing what everyone has and picking up some nuggets of wisdom!

Cheers,

Greg.

Hi Greg! :smile: I am also lucky in that my wife enjoys carnivorous plants, though she more of a rose fan herself haha. I am hoping to get some more divisions soon, I would be up for a swap in a year or two but will likely need to be by post as I am in Devon. 

I am going to Mike King's open day in October, he is also known as Shropshire Sarracenias, if you get a chance and haven't already, his collection is on YouTube and is well worth a watch.  

2 hours ago, Greg Seed said:

Good to know, thanks. You have some nice leucos already!

Yeah, salivated over Mike's YouTube channel plenty, thanks! I'll make it there one day.

Cheers

Thanks, although I realize I didn't phrase that very well, I mean when my existing plants get big enough to divide, I would be up for a swap of the divisions :smile: But may take a bit of time before I can do so, haha. 

17 hours ago, Jonathan_Creek said:

Thanks, although I realize I didn't phrase that very well, I mean when my existing plants get big enough to divide, I would be up for a swap of the divisions :smile: But may take a bit of time before I can do so, haha. 

I knew what you meant - just put my name down for a leuco or two! :D

On 8/1/2019 at 9:49 AM, linuxman said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are many collectors in Wales - and Ian Salter down in the Neath valley has a good collection (look for Carnivorian on ebay and FB (I think)).

Thanks very much. As it happens, I bought a very nice D. binata 'Extrema' from him which is doing splendidly!