S. Purpurea Clearance from Dorset Bog

Hi

the CPS has been working with the Dorset Ecology Group several years to clear S. purpurea from a bog near Wareham in Dorset where it has become very invasive and is threatening native bog plants.  The original intention of the land owner was to apply glysophate and kill the lot but was persuaded to allow the Society to remove plants and many hundred (perhaps thousands) have already been removed.  The Eden Project took several hundreds.

Several patches are being retained on the site for research purposes.

We are meeting with the Dorset Ecology Group again on Thursday 27th June to continue with this . minorwork and to remove flowers from the remaining patches.

In addition to the purpureas there are large quantities of native sundews and an adjacent large pond has U. minor in abundance.

We are looking for volunteers to help with this work so if you could make it please PM me.

cheers

Dennis Balsdon

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, dennisB said:

Hi

the CPS has been working with the Dorset Ecology Group several years to clear S. purpurea from a bog near Wareham in Dorset where it has become very invasive and is threatening native bog plants.  The original intention of the land owner was to apply glysophate and kill the lot but was persuaded to allow the Society to remove plants and many hundred (perhaps thousands) have already been removed.  The Eden Project took several hundreds.

Several patches are being retained on the site for research purposes.

We are meeting with the Dorset Ecology Group again on Thursday 27th June to continue with this . minorwork and to remove flowers from the remaining patches.

In addition to the purpureas there are large quantities of native sundews and an adjacent large pond has U. minor in abundance.

We are looking for volunteers to help with this work so if you could make it please PM me.

cheers

Dennis Balsdon

It's a shame I missed this, would have liked to help out. Do you know what happened to the removed plants?

Hi Jonathan

The Eden Project took 300 at the original clearance a couple of years ago.  The Dorset Ecology Group removed 100s.  Others have gone to people who attended the clearance.  Those that I removed have either been given away or sold in aid of the CPS Plant and Habitat conservation fund.  I still have a few left if you'd like to pop down to sunny Paignton.

There may be another clearance in September if you'd like to join in.

Dennis

16 minutes ago, dennisB said:

Hi Jonathan

The Eden Project took 300 at the original clearance a couple of years ago.  The Dorset Ecology Group removed 100s.  Others have gone to people who attended the clearance.  Those that I removed have either been given away or sold in aid of the CPS Plant and Habitat conservation fund.  I still have a few left if you'd like to pop down to sunny Paignton.

There may be another clearance in September if you'd like to join in.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, 

Thanks for the reply- I am glad at least some survived. I would love one, let me know here or by PM when it suits you to meet and I am sure we can organise that :smile: I am on Dartmoor so not too far. 

Ok, if there is I would be interested! 

Thanks

Jonathan