My carnivorous plants arrived!

So my plants from Hampshire Carnivorous Plants just arrived and honestly, they look amazing! I've been told to keep the first 3 (Sarracenia and Venus Flytrap) outside and I'm keeping the Drosera on the windowsill. Is this alright for the plants in the UK? Just worried if it gets too windy they might be blown back. Any advice you could give? Also put them on that small table in front of the chair in the outside image. 

IMG_20190607_152918.jpg

IMG_20190607_161611.jpg

IMG_20190607_152935.thumb.jpg.576e1c2aee7fb7f3b61c73421587729a.jpg

Edited by DanF2000

They do look great mate, I love unpackaging new plants !, HCP did a good job of packaging by the looks of it !. 

Can I ask how the drosera was packaged ?, I have some spares I want to sell on but I can't think of a way to package them where they won't end up in a sticky clump....

If you get a fairly deep tray or window box type container then your plants shouldn't blow over unless there's some serious wind...

I would stake the pitchers on your sarracenia though, it doesn't take a huge amount of wind to fold them over and ruin the look of the plant...

The purp will be bomb proof but I'd try and shelter the vft from heavy down pours as the rain tends to trigger the traps wasting a lot of the plants energy over extended periods......

P.s I have several drosera that are all happily living outside, the ones I have under protection do tend to look a bit ' showier ' though...

Edited by Blocky71
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Blocky71 said:

They do look great mate, I love unpackaging new plants !, HCP did a good job of packaging by the looks of it !. 

Can I ask how the drosera was packaged ?, I have some spares I want to sell on but I can't think of a way to package them where they won't end up in a sticky clump....

If you get a fairly deep tray or window box type container then your plants shouldn't blow over unless there's some serious wind...

I would stake the pitchers on your sarracenia though, it doesn't take a huge amount of wind to fold them over and ruin the look of the plant...

The purp will be bomb proof but I'd try and shelter the vft from heavy down pours as the rain tends to trigger the traps wasting a lot of the plants energy over extended periods......

P.s I have several drosera that are all happily living outside, the ones I have under protection do tend to look a bit ' showier ' though...

To package drosera you can put a plastic cup upside down and seal it with tape :)

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, Blocky71 said:

I think that might have something to do with the rain splashing down on peat and creating a lot of extra splashes in the process. In my experience, after it's poured for a few days, plants growing in peat seem to look worse for longer than those growing in sphagnum moss.

51 minutes ago, Alexis said:

What direction does the window face?

South facing, not sure if it has any window glazing/something that reduces the amount of light going through

Just now, Alexis said:

I'd try leaving a couple inside and the others outside to see which fair better

Thanks, good idea! My dad's partner has some young kids (around 5 - 7) who can climb on top of tables if something peeks their curiosity so I'm not sure if I should take them outside or not... I've been thinking of asking my dad to make a shelf on the side of the shed but I don't know how viable that would be (moving, protecting from wind/rain, watering, etc) Somewhere I can reach but they can't... 

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice plants! I am by no means an expert but I have grown sarracenia and VFTs, as well as sundews on a windowsill successfully for years prior to getting a greenhouse. I hear they grow better when they can get a winter dormancy period though, although mine never did on the windowsill and can't say I ever had problems. If you ever manage to get a greenhouse, that is ideal for them :)