Is it worth getting a CP if I'm going to Uni in September?

So since I was 10 I've been fascinated by Carnivorous Plants and have tried growing them up to 15 years old but always failed (either due to lack of rain water to give them, forgetting to feed/consider dormancy, etc.) Now I'm 19 and I've been reconsidering getting a starter pack of a Venus Fly Trap, Drosera Capensis, Sarracenia Purpurea and another Sarracenia (https://www.hantsflytrap.com/bc1001--beginners-collection-1-p.asp) but the problem is I'm going to university about 1.5 hours away and staying there each term starting in September. I could either take these (or maybe buy 1 plant) and look after them in my accommodation, or leave them at home where I worry they won't get the right care. If not these then should I get a regular plant for Uni/home?

By the way, should I get any of these plants if my bedroom window is north-facing (doesn't get direct sunlight) and my dad doesn't necessarily want me growing them on the kitchen windowsill. Has anyone had good experience growing standard CPs outside in the East Midlands?

Edited by DanF2000

2 minutes ago, ada said:

Try the sarracenia purpura venosa,my mother in law has grown one on a north facing window cill for years,once they acclimatise to dryer in door conditions they are fine

I've been thinking about either that or the Drosera Capensis. Which would you reckon would be easier to grow? (and possibly carry round and take to Uni, or leave at home a few months at a time)

Both are very easy to grow,but the drosera will more than likely lose its dew on the leaves due to the dry atmosphere in a house.

The purpurea has water in its pitchers so can cope better and stood in water too helps more

1 minute ago, ada said:

Both are very easy to grow,but the drosera will more than likely lose its dew on the leaves due to the dry atmosphere in a house.

The purpurea has water in its pitchers so can cope better and stood in water too helps more

Thank you, I might get a Purpurea then! Also, would de-ionised water from Tesco or another shop work in case we have that drought like last year? I've got a water butt I can refit to start collecting water again, it's just about how much it collects.

14 hours ago, DanF2000 said:

Thank you, I might get a Purpurea then! Also, would de-ionised water from Tesco or another shop work in case we have that drought like last year? I've got a water butt I can refit to start collecting water again, it's just about how much it collects.

You can get deionised water at Halfords at £3:50 for 5 litres in the battery section, I use it whenever I'm out of rainwater

Reverse osmosis water from aquatic shops is also OK for CPs.  My local shop charges 14p/litre, take your own container.

Only thing is, you have to be sure their RO equipment is properly maintained.  I always check the Total Dissolved Solids using one of these.  The water from my local shop reads about 15-20 ppm TDS.  A friend bought some from his local shop and it read 485ppm!!  Their RO equipment was clearly in need of some maintenance.  Definitely not good enough, and you wonder what t was doing to the fish!

Guy

On 5/30/2019 at 11:29 PM, Fly trap said:

You can get deionised water at Halfords at £3:50 for 5 litres in the battery section, I use it whenever I'm out of rainwater

I was wondering if this would be alright (they have it at my local Co op where I work) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carplan-Diw005-De-Ionised-Water-5Ltr/dp/B000C74XPE

Edited by DanF2000

4 minutes ago, jorgeGF74 said:

I have a similar story lol, I'm 19 also. Good luck with your growing!!! I had luck and didn't have to stay out without my cp. But I know anywhere I go on a future time I will carry at least one of them haha.

Thanks! I've actually just bought a starter pack with a Venus Fly Trap, two types of Sarracenia and Drosera Capensis or Aliciae, set to arrive sometime this week. My dad's partner doesn't mind them at all (my dad kinda does) and I'll be growing them on the kitchen windowsill and set a reminder each day to make sure they have water. Think I'll take one or two to uni but I'm not sure what to do about dormancy when I come back from christmas in January :sweat:

On 5/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, ada said:

They (subtropical Drosera in general) get a surprising amount of dew standing in bright but indirect sunlight in an unheated room (unheated as in the radiator isn't on but it isn't freezing). In fact, as it turns out, the unheated room turns out to be the greatest trick of them all in growing virtually any plant species that usually looks totally miserable indoors. Nepenthes get pitchers, Heliamphora thrive and get perfectly formed pitchers, tropical Drosera like adelae or graomogolensis get dew (although they don't get very red), and that's just fussy carnivorous plants.