Picavorus

Heated greenhouse insulation

Since moving and having space, I’ve now obtained a 6x4 greenhouse (glass and aluminium) that we’re planning on heating for tropical carnivorous plants (although they do have to share it with my Mum’s orchids).

What is the best way to insulate it?  Summer time won’t be an issue but I’m thinking come winter time it will benefit from being insulated.

I use the big bubble stuff and can keep my 13 by 8 frost free with just a 30w tube heater in all but the worst weather. Have a bigger heater when needed but didn't have to use it at all this winter. The insulation stays up all year on the north side. You've less volumn but a higher surface area to volumn ratio so you'll have to see what works depending on what you mean by tropical plants. I'm happy to go down to about zero C. How much sun you get, what you have in as a heat sink, how exposed, etc will all differ. A smaller greenhouse can be less temperature stable and cool down rapidly.

Thanks Dunc, it’s mainly Neps and possibly a few tropical Drosera I’m wanting to keep in there.  Due to space in the house I’m having to get rid of my terrarium but the greenhouse has arrived, so I’m just waiting on my friend to help me erect it.

Oh, definitely tropical then! I keep my neps in my conservatory - temp down to 10 C min in winter. I'd put bubble up permanently in your g/h - will keep it more stable, maybe a double layer on the north side. Will act as shading a bit in summer too.

That’s fab, thanks.  I’ll definitely do that