Sign in to follow this  
alexmh

New growth dying off - help!

Hi all, 

Over the past week or so I've noticed that the new growth on my flava ornata 'Green Swamp NC' has gradually been going brown at the tips and dying back and the flower has a very short stem as can be seen from the attached pic. The plant has been great for the last 3 years and I repotted it into 50/50 peat/perlite last spring. Unusually, it tried to flower at the end of Autumn last year but after reading up on this I decided to cut it off as it would have depleted the plant of a lot of its energy - not sure if this has to do with the problems I'm having right now. 

Can anybody help me here? I'm hoping I can save my favourite specimen! 

Alex

20190419_173951.jpg

Hi Alex,

your plant is grown in home?
Generally this behavior, if there are no obvious attacks due to insects, is typical of sudden changes in temperature / humidity.

you can cut the dried ascidian too

Edited by Natale

Hi Natale, 

It's grown in a conservatory in North East England and we have had some sudden hot weather but this seemed to start before the weather changed. Should I also check the rhizome for rot/pests? 

I don't think the plant has rottenness, I have always grown my plants with completely uncovered rhizomes in order to check if there are parasites especially cochineal; In your place I discovered entirely the rhizomes and I would remove all the dry, no need to repot, just remove the superficial peat in excess

Edited by Natale

The poorly pitcher looks like something has nipped the bottom when it was smaller and damaged it. The other two look ok. I'd leave it and just keep an eye on how the two good pitchers develop.

Worth giving it a quick spray with Bug Clear just in case.

Edited by Alexis

Thanks all, I've just got home and found that the biggest shoot is also going brown. Got a bit of an ant problem at the minute, daft question but could it be anything to do with that? 

Ants love feeding from the sugary fluid greenflies produce so have a close look for them.

As has been said it may be worthwhile giving it a spray with bug clear

Generally when there are ants there is also cochineal, they love to hide in the dry parts of the plant.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, alexmh said:

Hi all, 

Over the past week or so I've noticed that the new growth on my flava ornata 'Green Swamp NC' has gradually been going brown at the tips and dying back and the flower has a very short stem as can be seen from the attached pic. The plant has been great for the last 3 years and I repotted it into 50/50 peat/perlite last spring. Unusually, it tried to flower at the end of Autumn last year but after reading up on this I decided to cut it off as it would have depleted the plant of a lot of its energy - not sure if this has to do with the problems I'm having right now. 

Can anybody help me here? I'm hoping I can save my favourite specimen! 

Alex

20190419_173951.jpg

Hello Alex,  you might try SB plant invigorator + bug killer.  (ebay)

After spraying it down with Provado nearly 2 weeks ago, it's still getting worse! The new growth looks healthy and then seems to reach a point where it suddenly wilts and develops black/brown patches at the tip and just stays like that. Really concerned now, should I repot and check for any pests around the roots? Picture is the plant this morning. 

20190518_113852.jpg

Are all your other plants o.k?  did you repot any more at the same time?

It looks to me as if something is damaging your plant from the top.  If it is in the sun, could it have become scorched? - even in the north of England!  Maybe try putting it somewhere shadier. 

If this problem is unique to one plant, I see from the latest picture you have a couple of other plants next to it one of which looks like a Sarracenia, then maybe it could be something in the sap uptake damaging the delicate tips of the pitchers.  My suggestion, and I think your only hope of saving the plant is to try repotting it straight away into a compost you know has absolutely no nutrients or contaminants in it.  When repotting, clean off all the old compost and soak the roots in clean water for an hour or so to make sure there there are no pests hiding in that area or the rhizome.

Good luck!  Rob

Yeah everything else seems to be fine, although the new growth on the sarracenia 'Tarnok' next to it is a bit weak this year but nothing like what's happened to this one! I'll repot this week and hope for the best - thanks for your help.