Fly trap

Roots growing in empty space

My Sarracenia scarllet belle has been with me for about two weeks now since I purchased it from Hampshire carnivorous plants,

The peat moss it is growing in shifted during transit meaning there's about a half a centimeter gap between the pot and the peat and I have noticed there are some white roots growing inside the empty space

It is in a 9cm pot and is about 3 years old

Can it still have a good growing season despite the roots growing in empty space?

Ps the soil I'm using to repot another plant has been in its bag in my greenhouse, is this still good to use

Edited by Fly trap

I would try to fill that gap if you can.  Can you not pour the old compost you have around the edge of the pot to fill the gap or push some peat into the gap?  If it is too damp or wet to do this, mix some dry silicate sand with it to make it lighter and "pourable". 

I don't see any reason why you cannot use your old compost for this so long as it doesn't look mouldy or smell bad.  Since you won't have had any fertiliser in it, the compost cannot go off as maybe regular potting compost may do.  But do try to fill that gap with something even if it is just plain dry peat and/or sand which will soon moisten up once in place.

Rob

Edited by RobH
  • Thanks 1

The soil I can use to fill it is a mix of peat and sand however it has been in my greenhouse for about two weeks and its kinda humid in their, however the bag has been folded and the soil is still dry, is there any chance this soil could go mouldy or off

(Apologies I'm new at this :D)

No, that soil will be fine, it is almost new!  Many people mix up a large batch of compost for their plants, put the mix in a bin of some kind or bag and then use from it throughout the season and it can last many months without problems even when it is kept damp.  So go ahead and use your compost, you should not have any problems.

Rob

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Fly trap said:

The soil I can use to fill it is a mix of peat and sand however it has been in my greenhouse for about two weeks and its kinda humid in their, 

(Apologies I'm new at this :D)

Air flow is your C.P;s friend, if your greenhouse is humid,open up your door and vents and get some air in there.

Hi FT. Those auto-vent openers are a good buy and reasonably cheap. Came in very useful during hot weather last year. My greenhouse is a few miles from my home and a cannot always get there.