Dariasdouble212

Drosera binata weak point

I recently bought this little guy from a carnivorous plant show. Two stalks were on their way out with a new stalk coming up. The stalk opened and caught a lot of little flies! But after a day or so a weak spot on the neck caused the top to bend over. I thought maybe I damaged it when watering the plants behind it. Three more stalks started to come up, but before the oldest stalk even got a chance to open up it formed a weak spot in the same place as the other one. What's going on here? I've been using rain water, and I haven't repotted them. Thanks!

received_2183068438424594.jpeg

Either a lack of light is causing them to stretch, or it's too hot. I think it's the first option. You won't be able to save the already spindly leaves, but you can give it a haircut (just cut off all leaves, with a bit of luck you can even get some of them to sprout roots so you have more plants) and put it as close as possible to the light coming from outside. If it's already in as bright a spot as possible, this'll just be what it looks like for the following months, unless you get special growlights. Tropical/subtropical drosera in winter on a windowsill don't particularly excel in the looks department, unfortunately.

Agree, it looks like the little fella needs a bit more sunshine. Where are you growing it?  There's also hints it might be in a drying draft (hot or cold). The centre looks good so probably not too much to worry about. Wait till spring and it'll really get going!

Now that you both mention the light I noticed the new stems coming up are leaning towards the light. My current set up is below (it's terrible, I know), but I moved all my carnies closer to the light. Thank you!

received_1083895171770881.jpeg