Carnivorous-Owen

Getting my first garden soon what type of bog should i do?

Title says it all, getting my own bungalow at the end of October.

Iv'e always wanted my own bog garden can all cp's go in a bog garden and what type would most people recomend when i look online i see some are held with like a pot in the middle with water? 

Show me some pics of yours id love to see them :)

I have a small tub filled with sphagnum moss, and of course loads of Drosera, Dionaea, Utricularia (seems like even the tropical ones survive as long as they're overgrown by the moss, which doesn't take long) and Darlingtonia. I'm not a big fan of Sarracenia in general so I don't have any in there, but should I get a bigger tub at some point I might put some in there as well. I've had no issues with it even with all the surprise winter days and nights we've had earlier this year. That's basically it: get a tub, drill a few holes near the top so it won't overflow after heavy rainfall, fill it with sphagnum moss (best to buy it from a carnivorous plant shop so you know it's good quality and doesn't have any fertiliser in it), put some plants in there, and that's it! If you don't want a tub standing around, you can dig a hole and put the tub in there. It takes some time to set up and it won't look that interesting the first couple of months to a year, but after that it will be filled to the brim with seedlings of all the plants you put in there.

1 minute ago, carambola said:

I have a small tub filled with sphagnum moss, and of course loads of Drosera, Dionaea, Utricularia (seems like even the tropical ones survive as long as they're overgrown by the moss, which doesn't take long) and Darlingtonia. I'm not a big fan of Sarracenia in general so I don't have any in there, but should I get a bigger tub at some point I might put some in there as well. I've had no issues with it even with all the surprise winter days and nights we've had earlier this year. That's basically it: get a tub, drill a few holes near the top so it won't overflow after heavy rainfall, fill it with sphagnum moss (best to buy it from a carnivorous plant shop so you know it's good quality and doesn't have any fertiliser in it), put some plants in there, and that's it! If you don't want a tub standing around, you can dig a hole and put the tub in there. It takes some time to set up and it won't look that interesting the first couple of months to a year, but after that it will be filled to the brim with seedlings of all the plants you put in there.

Thank you so much this sounds a fab idea i bet yours looks great! :) never thought of drilling the sides to stop it overflowing see :) whenever you have any pics id love to see thanks for replying

Hi Owen

Have a look through some of the old threads in this section there are a lot of different ideas and advice that may take your fancy, a lot depends on how much room you have. or can use. which may be limited by the bogs location with regard to the maximum sunlight you get.

Cheers

Steve