Fly trap

Buying bare rooted plants during dormancy

Hello,

I've read that it's best to buy bare rooted plants during dormancy as you reduce the risk of plant trauma during repotting. 

To specify the plants I'm looking to purchase are sarracenias, fly traps and some sundewes (capensis and aliciae) what do you think I should do

Thanks in advance :)

do the same as everyone else,   buy your plants and learn about them as they grow. Most are very easy to grow given a few basic requirements which can easily be googled or searched .

Plants are usually cheaper whilst dormant and much easier to post without damage to the pitchers or leaves too.

ada

• Like 1

In my very limited experience, the advantages of buying now are:

You scratch that itch, you get to see the first pitchers forming, nurseries will have plants ready to go so no waiting

and waiting a few weeks:

It is a bit warmer and you do not get quite so cold playing with wet compost, any danger of plants getting fungal disease is over, and a lot of people are dividing their plants, so there is a bigger range of material for sale here and on online auctions

'Trauma' is a myth created by people who aren't careful. If you don't damage the roots, a plant won't show any signs of distress. You can repot at any time of the year. Some plants, of course, are more fragile than others.

In fact, repotting during dormancy doesn't cause any less damage, you simply won't notice if you caused any damage because the plants aren't growing yet anyway.