Sarracenia - outdoor cultivation in Denmark.

Martin Ravn

For the past ten years many of my plants have been growing outside unprotected all year along. 

Lowest temperature has been around - 20C. Our biggest problem is not the cold but more the long cool spring and unreliable summer weather. 

Take a look at some of the plants. You wont see many plants with windows as they are not particular useful outside, but the genus Sarracenia has a lot of other colors and shapes to offer!

23.jpg

24.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

14.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

27.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

39.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

58.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

Very nice. What a great display! I love the flowers.

I too know that some plants are much more hardy than one would think. My Dionea and Sarracenia are frozen solid right now and they have been last winter too. Even my Pinguicula x Tina looks like it has survived some frost.

Having said this I do believe you when you say that the long cool spring and unreliable summer weather would be more a problem.  I quess some short extremes can be dealt with from reserves, but long periods of wishy washy weather drain the strength, but that is just the thought of an amateur.

3 minutes ago, Rogier vdg said:

Very nice. What a great display! I love the flowers.

I too know that some plants are much more hardy than one would think. My Dionea and Sarracenia are frozen solid right now and they have been last winter too. Even my Pinguicula x Tina looks like it has survived some frost.

Having said this I do believe you when you say that the long cool spring and unreliable summer weather would be more a problem.  I quess some short extremes can be dealt with from reserves, but long periods of wishy washy weather drain the strength, but that is just the thought of an amateur.

Its certainly a problem for some of the Sarracenia species. Flava (including Florida material), oreophila and the purpurea complex are the most hardy and obviously their hybrids including some, but not all hybrids with more tender species are the best. Anything with windows (leuco, psitta, minor) are just not hardy here in their pure form. And I define hardy not only to lowest temperature a healthy plant can survive, but including the summer temperatures, the temps in spring and fall and the result in form of strong growth. 

Im still aiming for producing real good garden plants that also non-CP fans will enjoy in their peat garden. The next generations are bone hardy and adapted to whatever weather we get.

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

• 2 weeks later...