Sign in to follow this  
Plantsman89

What's the best way to heat a greenhouse for Highland Nepenthes?

With a move due within next 4-6 weeks I shall be buying a bigger greenhouse for my ever expanding CP collection, and want to move the Nepenthes out of the terrariums and into the greenhouse. So they have more space to grow and vine. 

I have lighting and regulating humidity sorted but the heating has me stumped. Any help regarding what to use and hints and tips of making a success of it would be greatly appreciated. 

Depends how big the greenhouse is but for largish one you could consider a heat pump (air conditioner).  Very efficient and very reliable (with the possibility of controlling from the internet.

Before that i used two 10£ heaters with biogreen thermostats, two are far more reliable than one (even 1 expensive one).

Forget kerosine, not reliable and expensive.

LPG heaters are used by some, not cheap and you need ventilation...

Some run the central heating system down to the greenhouse, cheap to run but not really allowed by building regs.

Edited by manders
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 6:22 PM, manders said:

Depends how big the greenhouse is but for largish one you could consider a heat pump (air conditioner).  Very efficient and very reliable (with the possibility of controlling from the internet.

Before that i used two 10£ heaters with biogreen thermostats, two are far more reliable than one (even 1 expensive one).

Forget kerosine, not reliable and expensive.

LPG heaters are used by some, not cheap and you need ventilation...

Some run the central heating system down to the greenhouse, cheap to run but not really allowed by building regs.

It's not going to be massive, it'll be either 6x6 or 6x4. I plan to get a 6x18 (which is the biggest my other half as agreed to lol) with an internal partition. 

Thermostats are another thing I need to ask about. Are there any good ones that'll do day and night temps? 

You can look on simply control or two wests and elliot, both of them i think do day/night thermostats.

• Like 1

Not a big area to heat so if you're under a kW then check out the Microclimate Evo too. Aimed at vivs and not cheap but control and on screen record good. 

• Like 1

I use just one 30w tube to keep my 80% bubble insulated 13 by 8 greenhouse frost free. So I'd say they've OK- I don't have it on a thermostat either. For really cold spells I have  3kw greenhouse fan heater but didn't need it at all last winter!  I used to have 4 in my conservatory on a thermostat and they did the job there too. Fairly efficient as heating goes.

Edited by Dunc
  • Like 1