sunburn on tillandsia leafs?

jasperD

Hello

I discoverd that nearly half of the leafs of my Tillandsia ionatha died off. Till the end of october it was growing outside where I tied the branch that I use as mount on a shrub where it was protected against the hot midday  sun. When it became too cold outside, I moved it in. Now is the plant placed on a soud faced windowsill where it gets the midday sun. The temperatures vary between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius and the the humidity is around 50-60 percent. It gets sprayed every week with rainwater. Could it be caused by sunburn?  It grows together with an Tillandsia albertiana but that one doesn't seem to bother. Do you have an idea about the cause perhaps? Or do you know where I can ask this where there are people that are more into bromeliads?

Jasper

DSC_0020.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have had a couple of the tips of the ionatha go Brown from where it has been too hot for them and the sun has caught them whilst I have been at work and forgotten to move them before I set off. Try moving them to a different location and see if that helps.

Have you just misted them before the pic was taken?

Some of the tillys can put up with more direct sun than the others

Edited by pirks

Hello

Thank you for all the help. 

21 hours ago, pirks said:

Try moving them to a different location and see if that helps.

I did move them as soon as I noticed the brown leafs and the browning stopped so I guess that it might helped.

21 hours ago, pirks said:

Have you just misted them before the pic was taken?

Yes, I did mist it because the dead leafs weren't clearly visible on the picture when they were dry.

39 minutes ago, Nepenthesman said:

I have had this problem before and I am not sure if it was the same but it looks like it has been to wet and caused rot so what I did was very little misting and higher humidity and it swung round.

I can't raise the humidity but I'll watch out that they don't stay wet for too long after the misting.

22 hours ago, RobH said:

Thank you for the links I'll definitely check them out.

Jasper