Sign in to follow this  
Netjer

Picking the Right Utricularia

Over the next month or so I'll be putting together an intermediate terrarium for my neps but I really want to add some utricularia for additional colour.

Right now I'm thinking a good covering of sandersonii or uniflora but really want a couple of other species as well to provide some accent spots. I'm currently leaning towards alpina, geminiloba or reniformis.

The terrarium is going to be 45cm tall with 9-10cm of growing medium, so one of my main concerns is height. I've read that reniformis in particular can get especially tall - would this be suitable for a terrarium of this size?

Any suggestions on which species could work well in addition to sandersonii/uniflora?

The hybrid Utricularia 'Nüdlinger Flair' (U. alpina x humboldtii) is a very easy to grow large flowering plant.

Utricularia_Nuedlinger Flair_100514_1.jpg

Hello Siggi_Hartmeyer, 

I really like The hybrid Utricularia 'Nüdlinger Flair' (U. alpina x humboldtii) that you suggested above. Do you mind telling me approx how long the flower stems grow? I am looking for a U. alpina with flower stems on the shorter side as I would like to try and grow it in a terrarium 45cm x 45cm x 45cm. Any advice would be most appreciated. 

Thank you.