Sowing out of season (Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, Dionaea)

TeaCake

I might need you guys to talk me out of something...

I have 4 lots of seed- 2 varieties of Sarracenia, some Darlingtonia and a mixed lot of Dionaea varieties- all from the CPS seed bank. They've been sitting in my fridge for weeks, though not in proper stratification. I want to sow them, but it's August tomorrow. It's taking all my resolve not to stick them in proper cold, moist strat and sow them a few weeks from now, but I suspect that's a stupid idea. Thoughts?

Edited by TeaCake

On 7/31/2018 at 6:23 PM, Blocky71 said:

Have a look here here Teacake, I did pretty much what your thinking but even later in the year..... click on " a winter window ledge trial" 

This is amazing, thank you so much! I got the seed for free so I'm reckoning to hell with it, I'm going to split the batches, keep half in storage till spring and try the rest now. Only on way to learn for myself! This is really encouraging though, thanks again! How did they all turn out in the end? Did you notice any issues with the ones you sowed over winter? Last question, I promise... where did you get those containers that you started them in? They look like something I'd love to cover every windowsill in my house in :lol:

They're all still going well @TeaCake , the vft's are slow to grow from seeds but I reckon I have about 200 baby vft's , the sarras I just plonked in a pot so I'm not going to guess how many there are but they're about 2 inches high now. DSC_1851.thumb.JPG.47900085667050b2bea59a9e4c0336f6.JPGDSC_1850.thumb.JPG.81f4980e5d42084e613c30ac5aabd40a.JPGDSC_1852.thumb.JPG.975cebc33ff99156ec36a16ae8f032f1.JPG

I cant remember exactly what the containers are but they were either McDonald's or KFC desert containers, ice cream or krushems I believe.....

Edited by Blocky71

You can skip dormancy in the first couple of years with your seedlings so I don't think it matters really when you sow them except that growth will be slower through the winter months.

Everyone has their own techniques and I was just dabbling with some spare seed but I was surprised how well they took off..