roberto morgado

Brown Patches on Pitcher Problem

Recommended Posts

Good morning,

in Madrid basically we are entering in summer and my sarracenias and dionaeas are getting some problems, i don't know if its a pest or sun burn or a fungus i hope you can help we.

The plants are in pure sphagnum moss, 10-12 full.

Some photos.

I hope someone knows whats happesing the the answer!!

Thanks!

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9060.JPG

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9069.JPG

IMG_9061.JPG

IMG_9084.JPG

IMG_9089.JPG

IMG_9092.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9082.JPG

IMG_9083.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

IMG_9101.JPG

IMG_9102.JPG

IMG_9104.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9109.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9111.JPG

IMG_9112.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a bit of heat damage to me? After the last few weeks of a UK summer some of my CPs not looking their best either (plus less than ideal watering as I was away for 4 weeks). As normal programmes resume the plants normally pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pirks said:

Is your sphagnum moss the dried stuff or living sphagnum moss?

It’s living sphagnum moss, but it’s not all green because the hot and the low humidity in madrid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 1:15 AM, Dunc said:

Looks like a bit of heat damage to me? After the last few weeks of a UK summer some of my CPs not looking their best either (plus less than ideal watering as I was away for 4 weeks). As normal programmes resume the plants normally pick up.

How can I solve this? I thought(some years ago) sarracenias with water and full sun would be great, but this year they are suffering too much.

i don’t know if it’s a pest or this year heat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to change the medium you have your plants in to

50/50 dead sphagnum and perlite try that don't look like pests

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, Deltatango301 said:

I think you need to change the medium you have your plants in to

50/50 dead sphagnum and perlite try that don't look like pests

But now i have 36ºC its not good to repot now, dont you?

Now its getting worse...

The young pitchers are getting dark too... have i to cut the pitchers?

Thanks!

IMG_9118.JPG

IMG_9125.JPG

IMG_9124.JPG

IMG_9121.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

IMG_9122.JPG

IMG_9119.JPG

IMG_9126.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

It looks to be sun burn too much direct sunlight to me.  Have you try'd a diffusing sheet?  would cut the amount of light they are able to get and allow you to put a fan at one end on the realy bad days and even putting the tray raised up a little to allow air flow below stopping the stone floor heating it from below.

I wouldn't worry about it my young divisions are doing the same in the north west UK they keep growing back as long as you see a new pitcher the plant is happy 

pic was taken 5 mins befor posting of my young divisions well neglected 

 

P1000644.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cantseethis said:

Hello

It looks to be sun burn too much direct sunlight to me.  Have you try'd a diffusing sheet?  would cut the amount of light they are able to get and allow you to put a fan at one end on the realy bad days and even putting the tray raised up a little to allow air flow below stopping the stone floor heating it from below.

I wouldn't worry about it my young divisions are doing the same in the north west UK they keep growing back as long as you see a new pitcher the plant is happy 

pic was taken 5 mins befor posting of my young divisions well neglected 

 

P1000644.JPG

But I’m really worried about that black patches, it’s not the normal dry brown patches...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

=( i was looking at them myself on my desktop posting from laptop  it looks to be a mold/fungus sooty mold would be closest i am not sure if bakeing soda water + oil will work but it dose for black spot on roses

 

Edited by cantseethis
stupid pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cantseethis said:

=( i was looking at them myself on my desktop posting from laptop  it looks to be a mold/fungus sooty mold would be closest i am not sure if bakeing soda water + oil will work but it dose for black spot on roses

 

The problem it isnt fungus sooty mold, i have tried before to remove manually with soap and it doesnt work, if it some fungus i need to know what is it... 

i have searching for all sarracenias fungus and i havent seen this before, maybe a virus¿?

Thnaks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.