Sarracenia Gluttony

Scuipici

The sarracenia are eating too much, to the point of getting filled with bugs and ruining the pitchers because of the brown patches that develop. I want to reduce the amount of insect they catch but they are in the open sun right now, I don't have a greenhouse yet. I tried putting cotton balls inside the pitcher but they get soaked with water from the rain and is causing the same problem. I was thinking to buy some washing sponge and cut little pieces and place them in the tubes. The spoke is airy and doesn't hold water like the cotton does, at least I think. Any other ideas to stop the pitchers from catching bugs? It's ridiculous how much they catch, the fatties will get a diet.

1 hour ago, Alexis said:

Seems a shame considering they'll be in a greenhouse maybe next year. You'll be rewarded with bigger plants!

They'll be in a greenhouse in about a month or two. The winter here is too harsh and I need an unheated greenhouse if I want most of my sarracenia/vft to make it through the winter.

Normal with plants outside! Never seen a pitcher not full and rotting by the end of the season - guess this is why they grow new ones each year...

Learn to love it - a sign of well fed plants. Wasps are worse as they can sometimes chew their way out!!

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately I seem to be experiencing the same problem, they are full to a inch or two below the top lid and now a few of the pitchers are getting brown blotches on them at the maximum bug level in the pitchers. Again they are outside in a sunny location but the recent heat wave did attract many flies mainly blue bottles...