Goodnight ,
I've been trying for some time to fight against an invisible plague.
The plague is in my nepenthes greenhouse.
I have my nepenthes in sphagnum moss with perlite and I have seen how underneath the surface there are many spider webs.
I have tried with neem oil, with potassium soap, with acaricides and I can not eliminate the webs.
I have even introduced a predatory mite of the spider mite for biological control (Phytoseiulus persimilis).
The plants do not see them very affected, if perhaps a yellowish leaf, but the spahgnum is infected with spider webs, even between the roots.

Is there any other pest that leaves spider webs in sphagnum moss?
Any remedy to solve this?
By the way, it seems strange to me that they are spider mites since it is a greenhouse that is always at 80% humidity and average temperatures.

Thanks greetings!

IMG_8870.jpg

IMG_8858.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

Hi! I don’t see the net in the photo... this year I’ve had some problems with a pest that I didn’t know and that I have not identified...it is a little larvae, just bigger than fungus gnat larvae, that make in the soil (sphagnum, peat etc) like a net, that bright in direct sunlight... if you see the soil in the night, with a artificial light (the one of your phone) You can see the small larvae white with their black head that are eating soil and plants... they killed me a p. Antarctica and a small p. Gigantea, and ate a little of a cephalotus...

I’ve killed them with a biological product, nemathods, that don’t give any problem to carnivorous plants: bacillus thuringiensis ssp. Kurstaki (I hope I’ve don’t made mistakes in writing this names:-))

the nemathods kill the pests about 3 days after you put them in the soil.

I’m not sure You have the same problem, but I’ve told You my experience;-)

22 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Hi! I don’t see the net in the photo... this year I’ve had some problems with a pest that I didn’t know and that I have not identified...it is a little larvae, just bigger than fungus gnat larvae, that make in the soil (sphagnum, peat etc) like a net, that bright in direct sunlight... if you see the soil in the night, with a artificial light (the one of your phone) You can see the small larvae white with their black head that are eating soil and plants... they killed me a p. Antarctica and a small p. Gigantea, and ate a little of a cephalotus...

I’ve killed them with a biological product, nemathods, that don’t give any problem to carnivorous plants: bacillus thuringiensis ssp. Kurstaki (I hope I’ve don’t made mistakes in writing this names:-))

the nemathods kill the pests about 3 days after you put them in the soil.

I’m not sure You have the same problem, but I’ve told You my experience;-)

Thanks for the answer,

this year im having lots of troubles with all my plants.... Its difficult to describe the pest, but the one you say it seems to be the same.

I had read that biological product to protects the plants so ill try that its the only thing i haven't tried i think :)

I till tell you whats happening, Lots of thanks!! 

• Like 1

Good luck!! I hope Yours plant will be beautiful and healties!!;-)

please tell me if bacillus thurigiensis kill this pest;-)

Hi Roberto,

Any news on this?

It is almost certainly just fungal mycelium. Get yourself a cheap illuminated loupe from eBay, and have a good look around to see if there really are any pests.

Karsty.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, Karsty said:

Hi Roberto,

Any news on this?

It is almost certainly just fungal mycelium. Get yourself a cheap illuminated loupe from eBay, and have a good look around to see if there really are any pests.

Karsty.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, Argo88 said:

Good luck!! I hope Yours plant will be beautiful and healties!!;-)

please tell me if bacillus thurigiensis kill this pest;-)

Good morning,
firstly i used spider mites predator mites, and after i resolved the pest changing all the sphagnum moss of those plants, i have now a better sphagnum moss with lot of perlite and i havent had more this problem.

Now i have the similar webs for all the greenhouse but i have seen that there are little spiders which makes the webs, there arent problems for my plants with those webs.

So thats are the conclusion, my plants and now growing bigger and healthy!!

Thanks!!!

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-09 at 13.26.01.jpeg