Pinguicula Gigantea

Miguel Angel Medina

Good after a little research and comment with several collectors and see the photos we all come to the conclusion that it is a hybrid, not a species,.
One of the most relevant patterns that betray this penguin sold as (Gigantea), is its pronuncioado funnel rather long with respect to true flower of P.Gigantea, as well as its pattern of color of the flower
We have all opllined individually that such a plant is truly P xTina,
After contacting the seller privately to ask for an explanation and dialogue. He continues to insist that he does not sell Tina ,,,, only Gigantea
Here I show the differences between both species

Mr. Michal Parvanov (MISO) nickname in this forum I think you should reconsider and truly find out if your provider is really cheating you by supplying a pinguicula that is not, because you sell us a plant that does not correspond to your description, and that will be call bad praxis
And your responsibility as a seller is to know what you are selling. and as an amateur to know what he has as a plant.
With this I only hope to open a debate and inform you that if you are a producer you should know what you sell.
first real photo Gigantea, the second photo of his famous gigantea

37064468_2113788745509367_3499916124491874304_n.jpg

37027473_10211925864558367_4951584481782792192_n.jpg

Edited by Miguel Angel Medina

I’ve seen sell a clone like Your (with same flower and same leaf shape) as P. gigantea, but I’m sure it is not a pure one... like You have said, the flower is very different and I’ve never seen in my p. Gigantea (some boarn from seeds) a leaf edge so definited and tourned up as in the first photo... as Werds correctly says P. Gigantea has glands in the two sides of the leaves...

only two things that I’ve red, years ago, in two articles... 

a grower that has sown P. Gigantea seeds said that some plantlets didn’t have glands  in the down side of the leaves (but in my experience in sowing this specie I’ve had 20 plantlets, all with glands in both sides).

I’ve red that also a wild clone of p. Moranensis have glands in both sides of the leaves.. I’ve never seen it, I only repeat that I’ve red.

Anyway, You have a nice clone of Pinguicula... it seems me very interesting;-)

• Like 1

P.s.: If this is not a P. Gigantea, this winter it will make a rosette with not carnivorous leaves... p. Gigantea in winter reduce its size (about 1/2 than summer size) but the leaves stay carnivorous, with a lot of muchilage:thumbsup:

Edited by Argo88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miso is a very serious seller... I’ve bought several time from him, and I’m very satisfacted... I’ve seen sell this plant as p. Gigantea in Italy and in U.S.A. too...if it is as You and me say, that this plant is not a pure p. Gigantea, I’m sure that he have bought it as P. Gigantea and is sure that it is that plant... this winter You’ll be sure if it is a real p. Gigantea or not... if we are in true, we confirm that to Miso... if it is a pure p. Gigantea, I’ll apologize with Miso in this post and I’ll say to everybody that I’m wrong... so, please tell me if this winter the plant will have a winter rosette carnivorous or not;-)

I must to repeat that Miso is a very serious seller and in my experience he has always sold good quality and very healty plants

If is useful for You, here my p. Giganteas, the two on the left seed grown (2 years old, mother plant purple flower, they haven’t never bloomed yet) and the third is a p. Gigantea alba (the right one, the plant of third photo)... see the colour (the plants never keep direct sunlight)... look at the edge of the leaves, different and less definited of Miguel plant;-)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Do You see the under side glands usual in p. Gigantea?

If partner Argo88  is quite clear my P, Gigantea Alba poese the glands on both sides ..... own the genre Gigantea ..... The fact is that what is discussed is that MISO should know as we all know. Today, it does not respond or defend itself ....

Edited by Miguel Angel Medina
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 3:12 PM, Miguel Angel Medina said:

Here I show you his sister, his owner gave me this photo since two were acquired, it is clear that this man has cheated us and as such I will do everything in my power to publicize their bad practices,

868669132_WhatsAppImage2018-07-19at15_06_04.thumb.jpeg.409a67456d059653a4241f9329dae541.jpeg

Hi!! How is Your Pinguicula winter rosette? Without carnivorous leaves?