Hints and tips for RO systems.

Being as we've had little rain and none in the forecast for the next three weeks at least I've just bought an RO system with a DI filter. Having read other threads on here I see there's a few people with them and I'd like to pick your brains about getting the best out of it. Any helpful hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Get taps for the RO and waste outlets so once strarted you can keep water inside the system to keep the RO unit wet.

Always do a few mins flush each time you use it.

Use tds meter to keep an eye on performance - you'll get a better idea when filters need changing. 

Don't expect it to be quick!!

• Thanks 1

Not sure as never thought of that! My 'waste' water is around 450 tds so just collect it in a watering can and use on the garden as its been so dry.  If I was to guess then I'd probably say it's not worth it. If I was buying again I'd probably go for a unit with a higher output as I only got a 75 l per day job.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 9:21 PM, Plantsman89 said:

Thanks, will do  :thumbsup:

There's a kit available for the system I have to put a second RO membrane on the waste water outlet to increase the water output and decrease waste.

Would that be worth doing? 

Presumably this consists of both membranes in a series chain and a single flow restrictor after? As pressure is needed across the membrane.

Edited by Stu
Spelling

It's a valid point Stephen, If a 3 stage brings it down enough to be useable.

my 4 stage is has gone from putting out 0ppm to around 16ppm at present, that will steadily rise with more useage until obviously the water produced will fall out of ' safe' limits. 

It would be interesting to know whether a 3 stage degrades slower than a 4 for example, what I mean is if both units degrade at same speed, yours would fall out of tolerance before mine. As you've already pointed out the 3 stage units are less wasteful though so maybe even if yours did degrade as quick you could have saved enough on the reduced waste water ( if you're metered)  to buy a new membrane ....

22 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

It's a valid point Stephen, If a 3 stage brings it down enough to be useable.

my 4 stage is has gone from putting out 0ppm to around 16ppm at present, that will steadily rise with more useage until obviously the water produced will fall out of ' safe' limits. 

It would be interesting to know whether a 3 stage degrades slower than a 4 for example, what I mean is if both units degrade at same speed, yours would fall out of tolerance before mine. As you've already pointed out the 3 stage units are less wasteful though so maybe even if yours did degrade as quick you could have saved enough on the reduced waste water ( if you're metered)  to buy a new membrane ....

Just put of interest, what would be a 'safe' limit on the ppm? 

:thumbsup:

I thought it would have been less than 100ppm. I must say I'm very jealous of the 19ppm from the tap too! 

One thing worth noting though, the lack of dissolved solids in the DI water shouldn't do them any harm and won't rob the plants of minerals. Roots work by osmosis.