Sign in to follow this  
Netjer

Inspire Me!

This weekend I'll be picking up what is likely going to be my last CP for a while (lack of space for many more unfortunately) and I'm really struggling to decide on what to go for. Also, this will be an early birthday gift from my brother, who has also been bitten by the CP bug, so I really want to get this right.

My growing environment is a south/south west facing windowsill in a first floor flat in the not-so-sunny UK. On sunny days it can get 8 or more hours of sun, subject of course to our ever-present clouds. Ambient humidity is about 50% and, if my cheap thermometer is correct, summer temps can get up to around 28 degrees. I haven't yet had a winter with my CPs but I do have a plan in place using a similar windowsill in a room which can be consistently cold, so I'm confident that any temperate plant I pick up can be given a good winter dormancy.

For reference, I currently have:

VFT - typical form

Sarracenia purpurea

Drosera filiformis ssp filiformis

Darlingtonia californica

Nepenthes x Bill Bailey

So far the plants which have grabbed my attention are cephalotus follicularis, VFT Grun, nepenthes diatas, drosera regia, sarracenia x scarlet belle and brochinnia reducta. However I am REALLY struggling to decide on something, so would appreciate some general input to hopefully inspire my choice.

I know that this is particularly open-ended, but I'm hoping some suggestions could get me considering something I haven't already considered or maybe get me to look at a particular plant in a new light.

Thanks for reading. 

TL;DR - I need a suggestion for my last CP for a while for a south/SW facing windowsill.

A Cephalotus would be a nice addition, maybe another Drosera (D. slackii, D. binata, or maybe a larger pygmy Drosera such as D. scorpioides).  Or a nice Utricularia (U. sandersonii, U. bisquamata 'Betty's Bay') or keep in mind that you don't have a Sarracenia leucophylla. Every collection needs a nice leuco or S. Juthatip Soper. Another carnivorous Bromeliad besides the Brocchinea is a Catopsis berteroniana. 

Now you have a shopping list for a couple more windows.

• Thanks 1

Sarracenia leucophylla is definitely on my radar, but I've always been concerned about viability. Does Schnell's Ghost have any needs beyond those of a typical leucophylla? I've always really admired it. 

And a ceph has been one I've been tempted by for a while now. I guess I could probably fit a young plant on my windowsill alongside something else! :biggrin:

Schnell's Ghost requires no extra special conditions compared to another leuco. It's quite vigorous.  

So I went with one option that I had expected and one which came as a bit of a surprise!

I picked up a gorgeous cephalotus today which I'm really pleased with - I really hope I manage to keep it happy! The other space I had left has been taken by some VFT seeds. I attempted to pollinate my (then rather sad looking) VFT but didn't expect to get any seeds out of it. Fortunately I was wrong and have just sowed them, so hopefully I'll have some seedlings pop up over the next few weeks!

HHEGNbw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I was in a similar situation a year ago and have gone from 4 types then to about 30 now. I got really interested in the many shapes (especially) and colours of Sarracenia pitchers and started trying to get one at least of each main morphology- flask-like (pursuer and hybrids), small and hooked, clump forming trumpets , tall trumpets, and added a couple of different vft colour forms and some different Drosera growth forms (rosette forming, clumping (capensis  etc), forked (binata). I also have some of the native species of Drosera and Pings with the idea that these should be easy to keep.