Where's my rain?

Fitted the Di filter now producing 0 TDS booster pump running at 120 psi good flow 

of water into the water butts. My only problem bank balance down, but never run out of water

we live and learn....

BTW thanks for all the help got there in the end,,,, expert now lol

Edited by Deltatango301

3 hours ago, Deltatango301 said:

My next diy is to make up a flush unit any advise on this.

I know I got to keep all the filters wet when not in use

I have 3 shut off valves fitted, but do you keep the RO filter unit under abit of pressure ?

This is practically identical to my setup...

51hZSj9HoFL.jpg

You basically split the waste (red) output line into two paths... one with a ball valve and the other with the flow restrictor (may have to acquire a new one if your unit has the tiny type hidden in the outlet elbow). The pipes then rejoin and run to waste.

When the valve is closed, water passes through the flow restrictor as normal and pressure is increased on the membrane allowing for normal operation.

When the valve is opened, the water (under pressure) will rapidly follow the path of least resistance, which is now the unrestricted side and the fast flow will help flush particles off the membrane as it passes by.

Do pay careful attention to the direction on the flow restrictor... they only work in one direction and must be installed that way.

I'm not sure if it is beneficial to keep a bit of pressure in the system. I personally tend to shut the outlet pipes first then finally the input just to make sure it is definitely wet when shutting off and limiting the chance of air in the system.

All my butts are full up now 750ltrs, the last time I used the RO unit,

the Tds was climbing up to 10 so I thought I would flush it out,

took the mini resister out of the elbow of the RO filter flushed

the 4 stages for 10 minutes with the pump booster on, put the

mini resister back and connected the system back to the Di filter

Run the whole unit for 5 mins. Checked the TDs and it was 25 run

it top up my butts but still stayed at TDS 25 so I can only think my

DI filter is already degrading it says it has a life of 6 months x 2000 ltrs ??

On 7/15/2018 at 9:29 PM, Deltatango301 said:

Thanks Stu, so that goes between the RO filter and the Di filter

will check on on eBay for one...then I need to remove the flow restricter in the RO elbow

Not between, as it's on the waste line coming out the RO membrane (only the pure water line feeds from RO to DI).

Can be put anywhere on the waste line from the RO but I installed mine quite close to the membrane housing itself, for two reasons... I presumed it may work a little better reducing the amount of pipework before the flush valve for flushing, and wanted to keep the restrictor fairly close to the membrane to make sure back pressure was sufficient.

2 hours ago, Deltatango301 said:

Run the whole unit for 5 mins. Checked the TDs and it was 25 run it top up my butts but still stayed at TDS 25 so I can only think my DI filter is already degrading it says it has a life of 6 months x 2000 ltrs ??

Hmm, you really aren't having the best time with your RO unit are you!

Off the top of my head I can't really think of an explanation other than as you say, DI already degrading but you'd expect it to last a fair amount of time. Perhaps it got exhausted prematurely when you were having problems with the membrane before?... i.e  high TDS water passing through the resin, making it work harder?

I suppose now it does not matter as we are full, and unit has been put away

tell next time needed, no doubt that will be next year if we have a summer like

This a year . Perhaps I will need a new Di filter then as the 6 months will be up.

thanks everyone  one for your replies.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, Deltatango301 said:

the Tds was climbing up to 10 so I thought I would flush it out,

took the mini resister out of the elbow of the RO filter flushed

the 4 stages for 10 minutes with the pump booster on, put the

mini resister back and connected the system back to the Di filter

Run the whole unit for 5 mins. Checked the TDs and it was 25 run

it top up my butts but still stayed at TDS 25 so I can only think my

DI filter is already degrading it says it has a life of 6 months x 2000 ltrs ??

Yeah I used mine the other day and it was at 3ppm then went to 4ppm a few minutes after. Ive only used it for 60-70l and i flush it for 5mins before and after use, no idea why it'd go up so fast

edit: Spoke to kevin collins from collins water products where I brought mine from and he responded on ebay (i was looking for di resin) in minutes detailing the di filter/resin size and the longevity of it against my tap water ppm and gave further information and said I can add more di filters or replace with a bigger one. Absolutely great service on postage, email responses and ebay messages. Cant fault the company in the slightest

If anyone still needs a RO unit http://www.collinswaterproductsltd.co.uk/

Edited by Zerbirus