Weird creature

Dolly

We definitely do have over 30 different species of mosquito across the UK.

Agree that it is probably mosquito larvae or similar insect with aquatic larval stage, but would need a better picture to tell for sure.

No harm to the plants, just us humans when it evolves into a flying adult and decides to bite us!

• 7 months later...

The picture is quite blurred. Well, stagnant water is the main source of mosquitoes. These mosquitoes spread diseases such as malaria, dengue, Zika virus and much more. As the famous saying states prevention is better than cure. It's better to not have stagnant water or the best way is to hire pest control services such as Pest Control Roseville CA to get rid of these pests and creating a pest free environment. 

We have a slightly less dramatic approach here in the U.K. Kirkgaddy...

Mozzies will lay their eggs in any standing water available so it's inevitable some will end up in the plants reservoirs, especially if kept outdoors.

Leaving the trays to dry out for a day will pretty much kill anything residing in the water... 

Personally I remove the 'rafts' of eggs that can be seen floating on the surface and move them into a jam jar of rainwater to hatch. 

Once hatched they go into my fish tank as a much lovedtreat for my fish ! 

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...