Nepenthes for beginners

Naz86

Hi I was after some advice in regards to growing Nepenthes. Which are easiest to grow Highland varieties or Lowland?

Which varieties would be recommended for beginners and also is it a must to have a greenhouse?

Many thanks.

Highlanders require far far less heat than lowlanders.  Highlanders and Intermediates can do well in a house.  Some do better than others.  N. Rebecca Soper and N. Bill Bailey along with N. Ventrata and N. Bloody Mary are good hybrids for the house also N. talengensis x sibuyanensis (one of my faves).  N. ventricosa is a species that will do well and for me I have luck with N. jamban, N. maxima (mini one, I think it's now called N. minima) and even my N. robcantleyi (which I've had since it was very young.  My limited Nep experience has taught me that having them from young is better than from adult.  

Many thanks for your reply Richard

I will check out the ones you have named and see if there are any small plants available. 

Is there a certain facing window which you find they grow best in?

Your comment and advice is most appreciated. 

Intermediate hybrids would be your best bet to start off with, they accept a wide range of temperatures, generally dont need such low nights and have hybrid vigor. The amount of light depends on the species, lowlanders dont need as much, highlanders like a lot but generally not direct as it'll scorch the leaves. Basically if you see red dots on the leaves then lower the light, if the whole leaf or leaves go red then theye getting enough and you can lower if you dont want red leaves.

https://www.hantsflytrap.com/nepenthes-monkey-cups-14-c.asp

http://cpphotofinder.com/Nepenthes.html

See if theres any you like and check on the cpphotofinder picture collection for that species and let us know and we'll tell you what they need.

10 hours ago, Richard Bunn said:

I was just in the kitchen and with the stronger light we've had lately the pitchers on my N. Bill Bailey have gone so dark they're verging on the (dare I utter the word on this forum?) black.

Should be a very deep purple which comes from the singalana parentage and comes through in several singalana hybrids, might just be darkening over time

I'll throw out a vote for Nepenthes x Bill Bailey. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but so far it seems to be adapting to its new home well - only one of the original pitchers has died and the whole plant is growing fast enough to notice the difference every couple of days.

The pitchers are absolutely gorgeous as well, which I don't find to be the case with most other widely available ventricosa hybrids.

On 6/17/2018 at 2:51 PM, Netjer said:

The pitchers are absolutely gorgeous as well, which I don't find to be the case with most other widely available ventricosa hybrids.

Just have to find the right one

Ventricosa x Inermis (really nice),  ventricosa x dubia (i have 3, get tempted then forget i already have them), ventricosa x (maxima x talangensis), ventricosa x ovata (when BE restocks), ventricosa x spectabilis (hit and miss seed grown)

Ventricosa x ovata is gorgeous - I really like that. Ventricosa x (maxima x talangensis) is really nice too, definitely one of my favourite 'tubby' neps.

I think my issue with ventricosa hybrids in general seems to be that I really do like the toothier plants but the ventricosa parentage often seems to detract from that in a lot of hybrids. That said, that's just my personal taste and shouldn't at all detract from other people's preferences. :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, I've been reading a lot lately about how easy nepenthes khasiana is to grow. I've not grown one myself but it could at least be worth looking into. 

Edited by Netjer

DSC_1586.thumb.JPG.a29d43fdf5b3242d3a415e18aab443de.JPGDSC_1585.thumb.JPG.7b57db2877f2827ab1aa38524a672bc9.JPGDSC_1595.thumb.JPG.8c567e33759ac5eb9690229627ee8623.JPGDSC_1594.thumb.JPG.b047214a4241ffca4340407ff131252e.JPGDSC_1593.thumb.JPG.a0f12d5e82edbda307db02c293307ab3.JPGDSC_1592.thumb.JPG.4488abba4fb1520ac392c7bdffc6b597.JPGDSC_1591.thumb.JPG.4a758272ec68e648e5a4f378d0723917.JPGDSC_1589.thumb.JPG.3a81cce035f4f6ff0b332d8672701ded.JPGDSC_1588.thumb.JPG.dcbd2ac42fdefcfe83b46723af7547a9.JPGDSC_1587.thumb.JPG.235098dcd35dc5064683ce98d2340ee1.JPG

This is the only nep I own, incorrectly sold to me as an " eymae " which I realise now it's not.... 

Whatever clone it is, considering the neglect it gets it is pretty resilient, has spent its life on my downstairs toilet windowsill for last 3 years

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Netjer said:

VEDIT: Also, I've been reading a lot lately about how easy nepenthes khasiana is to grow. I've not grown one myself but it could at least be worth looking into. 

Yes khasiana accepts a wide range of temperatures but its endangered so not a lot of people stock it, prefers lowland temps but ive read it surviving 8c nights fine. I went against the idea of getting one with my last wistuba order from someone who told me theirs died after a year for no reason but ive been thinking about raising them from seed, if it wasnt for my lowland chamber being packed with seeds as it is

edit: forgot to post this yesterday

blocky71 - maxima, it looks like maxima, eymae and maxima also got confused at borneo exotics and eymae were sold as maxima due to the similarities of the lower pitchers

Edited by Zerbirus

Cheers @Zerbirus 

I also read an article saying Christian Klien also sold this as an eymae?

I would agree mines a maxima, I was hoping as the plant grew the upper pitchers would take on the wine glass shape but they appear to be the same as the lower pitchers.

I'm not sure the eymae would have been as happy anyhow so it was a welcome mistake !