Sign in to follow this  
CactusChris

Sarracenia x willisii anyone

This hybrid grex comprised of (purp x psit) x ((purp x flava) x purp) seems to be rare or absent in collections.

There is an imposter that has a lot of leuco in it (from long distant discussions with Slack this posssibly came from Australia to Slack and I think it was x willisii x leuco but lost the x leuco part of the label). The imposter is a fine plant, but continues to be mislabelled by even the most careful collectors, including hybrids made from it. 

Is anyone growing the true x willisii? If so can we please see some photos....

Thanks

chris

Edited by CactusChris

I think it was one of the earliest man made hybrids and so was given a latin name just because someone happened to create it. 

Presumably it looks similar to catesbaei, possibly even like 'Vogel' with the psittacina genes.

It should be pretty easy to create if anyone had a catesbaei purpurea backcross, but I don't think there's much appetite in creating it because I doubt it'll result in spectacular plants.

Hi Alexis,

there are (is) one photo on cpphotofinder that looks right perhaps http://cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-x-willisii-3314.html though I do no know the history of the photo. I am intereted to see if there are others around - and now what of all the mislabelled plants? why do they continue to be mislabelled

I am working to make it with purp montana just for the fun of it.

best regards

chris